Request Your Recipes Here - (DON'T POST RECIPIES HERE) - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 138 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Request Your Recipes Here - (DON'T POST RECIPIES HERE)

thambi,

experiment pannupaa...

i use 2 cups rice to 1 cup urad dhal. no cooked rice. no baking powder.
    dosa's come out ok... (my friends have not complained, so it won't kill you.. )

i use mixie too. i grind them separately. just grind dhal very well.. (liquefy?). for rice no so well but about 85 %.. a little bit of grainy texture is not bad... then I mix the stuff well and add common salt (yes, you can use the regular Morton stuff !!) .. and let it ferment over night..

depending on how 'big' the cup is and how big the dosa's are the number would change..
    (you can calculate, but I know your math is bad, and mine is worse.. so lets leave it.. !!)..
    for me, I use Starbucks 'tall' size (but a diffrent )cup and it gives about 30 or so dosas..

if it comes out well, send some down I-5 south.. OKvaa... if it is bad, send it to Vennai..

Vasan

ps: I have no clue what I am doing in recipe section... DJs paartha konnuduvaanga..

ps; ps: any grocery shop would have long grain rice... same as our 'some-thing-or-the-other' rice.. lets call it as a all purpose rice.. Being a good indian boy, you can buy the brand 'MAHATMA'... (hey, it does exist.. go figure.. !!)
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

thanks for steps.. But i have no grinder ...
    I use Mixie . Does anything change
    madhu I use mixie too. nothing will change. just add litte water and select grind and grind it.

appuram what is long grain rice. ..
    Long grain rice is (pachaarisi) is there safeway in your area or even superstore. go to rice section and look for long grain rice.

"How long I need to grind it.. "

As vasan said till grainy texture.

Dont we need to add baking powder ?? my mom used to do this ....

How many dosas will this ratio serve
    No need of baking powder. I add cooked rice for the idli and dosai to become softer. usually when I use 3:1 I use the mavu for 2- 3 days to make idli or dosai. can keep them in fridge and before u make it take it out from fridge 1/2 hour before for the coldness to go away.

Vasan's way is another way also to do but I usually grind both rice and urd dhal together.
    Life is full of dreams.

Minik

madhu ellarum super'a explain panni irukaanga.. just a few from me...

It depends on which rice u are using.. my friends in Cal get "Lakshmi Idly Rice" Get that.. ellaina par boiled rice. Now 4 cups of rice and 1 cup of urad whole dal ok. Together u can soak them.. since we are using mixie.. soak it for well 6 hrs.. Along with this. soak 1 spoon of vendhayam.

Now 1 cup of water vachukoonga..mixie evalavu kollumoo avalavu cup of soaked content pootu.. 0.4 water pour and grind it well.. The point is semi solid'a irukanum maavu.. so less water add pannunga.. since nalla soaked it will grind well.. appo appo konjam water.. thats it okvaa..

Since u are college guy.. u may want to have this maavu without pulichufying for atleast a week, so DONT ADD SALT TO THE MAAVU when grinding...

Now one night(mostly a day in this cold ) ferment it.. then whenever u are making dosai or idli add sa;t and make it.. This way maavu will not pulichufy easily..

Tips : nalla ferment aaganumna.. micirwave iruku ellai.. athula pour the maavu in a microwavable container and heat for 5 mins.. then leave it there for one night
    Hope this helps

Shy

Tips : nalla ferment aaganumna.. micirwave iruku ellai.. athula pour the maavu in a microwavable container and heat for 5 mins.. then leave it there for one night
    Hope this helps
    u can also leave in the oven and put the oven light and leave it there overnight. That helps too.
    Life is full of dreams.

Minik

Quote Originally Posted by Minik
    Hope this helps
    u can also leave in the oven and put the oven light and leave it there overnight. That helps too.
    Oru tharam appadi vachuttu, yedho maranthutten.. For some reason if I cook on the stove the oven was also getting heated up.. and the next morning I found a huge idly in the bowl rather than maavu... some nicely baked idly.. !! :P :P :P :P :P :P

Point to learn: Don't listen to Vasan.
    2nd Point to Learn: If you are cooking 'don't forget what you are doing'..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

For some reason if I cook on the stove the oven was also getting heated up..
    how does that happen vasan.
    Life is full of dreams.

Minik

Quote Originally Posted by Minik
    For some reason if I cook on the stove the oven was also getting heated up..
    how does that happen vasan.
    The stoves on the top and the oven at the bottom are seperated by some heat insulation, Minik... I think my stove was too old (rented home.. poor students.. :D ) and, presto, the heat inside was too much... That is when I learned about baking 'idlies'... :D :D :D
    Short Measures

Quote Originally Posted by shidinesh
    hello people......

most of the recipes posted here are based on ingredients exclusive to India/Sri Lanka....people like me who live miles and miles away from a tamil shop can have not much use out of them (especially if one doesn't have mich cooking experience, like me )
    So ,it'll be great if we can have some recipes from back home, which can be made from stuff available at local supermarkets.....

just my thoughts....
    shi unmaiyaana vaarthai, intha voorula muthalla kidaikaathu, kidacha athukkum namba oorula kidaikara pathaarthathukkum kaadha thooram.

even i try to imitate the old recipe with locally available stuffs.

Dinesh.. just saw ur posts.. Yes ua re right.. will try to post some recipes with the stuff from local supermarkets

Shy

Can someone post the recipe for 'paruppu thogayal'
    Dharmo Rakshathi Rakshitaha

Nizhnevartovsk, Western Siberia, Russian Fed.

Can any one help me with a recipe of Hakka Noodles that we get back home in India

Cheeers,
    Venky

Moviefreak and venky please do look for ur required recipes and enjoy

Paruppu Thogayal
    Hakka Noodles

Happy Cooking

Shy

panner veetla eppadi panradhu??We dont get in our place paneer Anyone please

any one know how to do puff parotha?

Quote Originally Posted by honey
    panner veetla eppadi panradhu??We dont get in our place paneer Anyone please
    Honey, hope this helps.. let us know

Paneer

Shy

hi moderators and others,

why can't all of us discuss some tips in all the feilds like kitchen, laundry,household............. ...

sen.

mavu araika solli kodutha ellam thai margalukum ennoda nanri

Special thanks to Minik , shy ..

Mavu araichi galli ayiduchu .. Ippo vera mathiri try pannanum.. :D :D .

First time pannupothae sothapaamaa senchiten .
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

Hi,
    Does anyone know the recipe for Sinni Sambol...both the wet kind and the dry kind?
    Plz if u do, could u post it
    Thank you.
    Blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Lotus,

Appadina enna.. naaan kaetathu illai...Explain pannunga.... may be names differenta irukalaam right ?

Other chefs, If u know, then post pannunga.. will also try BTW vegetarian thaanae

Shy

Don't worry Shy,

Well it is a veg dish. It's an onion based Sambol, but it's both sugary and spicy. There's 2 types of them...one is very dry and the other not.
    Sini (or Sinni or Chinni or Chini) Sambol...(I have no idea how to spell it).
    Tried searching the net...not found anything yet...shall try again. let u know if I find the recipe.

thanx though.
    blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 138 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast