Dhoom : 2
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dhoom : 2

Cool Dhoom : 2

Another day, another sequel, another Hindi movie. Right? Well there is some truth in that poorly constructed sentence, but not the entire truth. Let me explain. Dhoom 2 hit the theatres with much fan fare, expectations and oh yes long queue of people trying to get in. Get in? To watch what? A first half full of lengthy introductions of "cool" thieves, a busty cop and two guys we already spent 3 hours knowing a few years ago? Not really, I'll tell you why I did it.

I did it for the casting coup of the year and to see if the magic will repeat itself? Not that Dhoom was the best movie I had ever seen, but it was certainly one of the most entertaining movies that came out of Mumbai in recent years. The best part was that the movie wasn't trying to be cool, it was like everyone was just having a blast, even the audience. I digress again, so going back to the topic, I waited with baited breath for Dhoom 2 to see if the movie with Hrithik, Aish and Bips in it could be even cooler. So now that I have watched it, let me lay it out there for you folks.

For those who don't like long reviews, here's the shorter version - the movie is good, definitely worth a watch and if the first half disappoints you, just hang in there because it only gets better.

Now the longer version and let's start from the beginning and first talk about the pieces I didn't like. I've already given a glimpse into what I thought about the first half. But elaborating further, the introductions of all the "stars" were lengthy, routine and lame. Each character is introduced by showing something they are good at and followed by their signature song. I don't mind lengthy introductions but I think they could have been better. The first sequence in the Namibian desert (which could have been Thar for all I care), was very mediocre.

Anyways, even though the first half was a bit annoying, the good thing is that the movie still keeps moving and by the half time we see a lot of action in the form of heists, chase scenes and some twists. As the intermission sign comes up on screen and we break for coffee, samosas etc, we know that the gauntlet is thrown and people come back to their seats expecting some real action and the second half of the movie gives you exactly that. Shot entirely in Rio, Brazil the scenery is beautiful and the sequences much more interesting. There are some really good twists, which even though you might figure out early, you'd still like the way they have been weaved into the story. After watching the movie I came out a happy man, not ecstatic but satisfied.

The movie has a reasonably good story. I won't go into details because it would spoil the movie for you. However, it's what you would expect from a cop robber sequel. There's a new thief in town and our friendly, neighbourhood cops - Jai (Abhishek Bachchan) and Ali (Uday Chopra) who are joined by Shonali (Bipasha Basu) will do anything to nab this con artist. Every artist has a fan who aspires to be like their idol and Sunehri (Aishwarya Rai) plays the role of another thief who not only wants to get noticed by her idol, Mr. A (Hrithik Roshan), but also wants him to accept her as a partner. She goes to elaborate lengths in order to win his respect. So once the teams are formed, the game of cat and mouse begins and the movie takes us on a nice roller coaster ride.

In terms of performances, I think the lead male actors do a great job as was expected of them. Hrithik is cool and as Jai Dixit describes, a perfect thief. I agree he kinda dances like Britney Spears at times, but he still manages to machao a lot of Dhoom. His serious demeanor reminds us of Lakshya (second half) and he is awesome in some really dramatic and romantic scenes in the movie. He and Aishwarya have really good chemistry on screen.

Abhishek Bachchan comes to life towards the end of second half. Although he's the leading hero of the movie, his first half was like reliving the original Dhoom. However Abhishek has some really powerful scenes and he really shines in those. His scenes with Aishwarya are filled with good one liners and he does the job of no nonsense cop extremely well. It will seem that this movie was like a showcase for Hrithik to display all his talents, however at no point he was able to overshadow Little B's screen presence. Their scenes together are well done and will bring a smile to your face.

Uday Chopra is fun, lovable and clownish. He gets props for being the only person that will keep you awake during the lengthy first half sequences. Even though he's not the central character of the story, he still gets a lot of good scenes and does a great job. Aishwarya Rai looks less cooler than Bipasha in western dresses, she looked like a character out of star trek in her Crazy Kiya Re outfit. Her forced Orange County teenage girl accent is fake and annoying, "I mean its like totally annoying"!! She however picks up in second half and has some really good scenes with both Abhishek and Hrithik. Bipasha Basu plays the least important character but she will keep the male audience in their seats with her skimpy outfits. Oh one more thing, I'll let you in on one secret, she does have a double role in the movie.

Sanjay Gadhavi, the director, gets an A for effort. I think he's got a lot of potential and with the limited budget most Indian movies have, he's made a slick product. Vijay Krishna Acharya's story has some loopholes, but it's passable. Special effects by Mike & Mike (Stringer and Bates who did special effects for two of the Lord of the Rings movies) do a great job in this movie. Choreography by Vaibhavi Merchant and Shiamak Davar is good but involves too many complex dance steps, which I guess is fine as Hrithik can carry those off easily. Music is good and does justice to the look and feel of the movie.

So how many stars does this movie deserve? Not so quick my friend, this one's a bit complicated. I think the movie deserves three stars and I'll throw in another half a star for Aishwarya's kissing scene. Whoa, where did that come from you might ask, but yes it is there and this extra half star is for Aish who said no to all Hollywood kissers and said yes to our Mumbai Ka Chora. A little advice, next time, show a little bit more passion, will ya
    Going by the crowd at the theatre and anticipation that was created by Dhoom 2, I think this movie will be a big hit. I will not feel bad if this one turns out to be the biggest hit of the year because it's a good, entertaining movie. I mean if you are really being anal and start nit picking, you'll find several loop holes and I can help you identify a plenty of those. But my advice to you is stop thinking and start enjoying!!
    Last edited by coolcrave; 02-17-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    __Thanks & Regards.
    -_-Keshav-
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens

thanks coolcrave
    btw, i havn't watch this movie......too busy , someday

There is one short clip, which I saw for some odd reason (may be because that was in english??!).. Aishwarya was asking that shirtless dude.. 'hey.. you checkin' me out?'..

The way she says makes it sound so lousy, and ugggghhhh.. Wanted to stab myself, for watching that clip..

You will have to shoot me first before you can make me see this film..

and yeah.. may be make that dude wear shirt..

Sorry, CC. Aish is good and pretty - but she better find some decent guy to write for her..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

sodha padam
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

i watch this film in tamil language..its was nice.......its very moving...eventhough i fast fw to watch it in 90 mins so.......

watch it..... have some good songs

first one enna story........
    நான் பெரிது நீ பெரிது என்று வாழாமல் நாடு பெரிது என்று வாழ்வோம்!

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post
    There is one short clip, which I saw for some odd reason (may be because that was in english??!).. Aishwarya was asking that shirtless dude.. 'hey.. you checkin' me out?'..

The way she says makes it sound so lousy, and ugggghhhh.. Wanted to stab myself, for watching that clip..

Sorry, CC. Aish is good and pretty - but she better find some decent guy to write for her..

v-

I understand getting a six-pac ab is no easy business & if your there with it. Showing it off is no offense. Aishwarya did some moves inspired by Angelina in tis movie Jolie.
    Last edited by coolcrave; 02-17-2007 at 07:57 PM.
    __Thanks & Regards.
    -_-Keshav-
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post

v-
    v- relax paa....... nice review coolcrave ...keep up!.

Dhoom-2 is definitely for those who rave and rant about dress appearance, physical and short. Thank you very much, but there are still people who care for a film that makes the film a star and not a movie that stars can control the story.

Nice movie. I really liked this movie.

+ Reply to Thread