VennPongal with MasoorDal(Red Lentil) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: VennPongal with MasoorDal(Red Lentil)

thanks shy sis............ithellaaam thamil namila theriyum......since i'm the one do the shoping so...........me know tamil names..............but when its come to english or hindi or indian names.....kind of kulappam...thats all

Mysoor paruppu enduthaan sollurathu

thuvaram paruppa saampaarukku use pannurathu???............don't they use masoor paruppu
    நான் பெரிது நீ பெரிது என்று வாழாமல் நாடு பெரிது என்று வாழ்வோம்!

pacharisinna inga entha brand best solla mudiyumma....:?

me always use sona masoori for everything...pulav,pongal,rice etc...

yaso

shy sis..........did u took those pictures with your camara???
    நான் பெரிது நீ பெரிது என்று வாழாமல் நாடு பெரிது என்று வாழ்வோம்!

no puraa.. i took it from the net..

sambharkku traditionala we use thuravamparuppu thaan.. but mysoor can be used since it gives more flavour.. but originality venuma.. athu toor thaan

Yaso.. laskhmi brand in USA

venkadesh vanthu udaika poraar.. his pongal recipela paruppu and rice discussion.. vaango RTla pesalaam sariyaa..

Shy
    I Geetham

pacharisi how to describe it in english....

BTW:templela taste panna mathiri cook panna vara mattengudhu...don't know how they prepare really????

yaso

yaam irukka kavalai yEn?

pachcha arisi = raw rice

puzungal arisi = parboiled rice

all the other names are different variety of rice grains. ponni, sona masuri, basmati etc.. On the other hand, raw and parboiled are two different ways to remove the husk (உம்மி) from the rice grain (நெல்). If you take the harvested grains and put it in a grinder (or உரல்ல போட்டு, உலக்கையால குத்தி) remove the husk, you have raw rice. But if you want to parboil it, and use that to remove the husk (makes it easier to remove, less wastage of grains), then you get parboiled rice. Either of the rices, we could remove the husk mechanically (in a grinder) or by hand (ural and ulakkai).. the one done by hand is known as கைக்குத்தல ் அரிசி. There are lots of people in TN who ardently believe that கைக்குத்தல ் அரிசி is better because it does not remove the vitamins which forms the first layer of rice.. thiru.vi.ka was one of the firm believers on this theory. There is a good bit of logic behind it, but immensely hard to do it by hand for all the people..

in general if it is not said clearly, it is parboiled rice. If it is raw rice, it will say so on the packet.

Different varieties of rice grains were developed because some have greater resistance to insects, or yield better harvest, require less attention etc. Usually done with crossing them, rather than genetically modifying them. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in Coimbatore used to release new crops of rice nearly every year around pongal time - but have not done so in the recent past. They have even released a rice variety named after the then Chief Minister, Ms. Jayalalitha..

Innum vilakkam vEndum enRaal, 10 paisa-vukku money order-il anuppi vaiyungal..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

enga mom kooda ippadi sonnathu illa.... :mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp:
    Vasan...purinchidichi....

BTW:appo Indian grocery shop pona raw ricenu kekanumaa..ok..

yaso

Yaso,

all thanks to my paati who answered my incessant questions with a chuckle and a story.. ulakkai vachchu arisi kuththi kuduththu irukken, paatikku.. all good old days..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post
    Yaso,

all thanks to my paati who answered my incessant questions with a chuckle and a story.. ulakkai vachchu arisi kuththi kuduththu irukken, paatikku.. all good old days..

v-
    wow really...thats really sweet...
    ennaku thaan paati vaasame theriyaama pochi...hmmmm...missed my paati when i was too small...

yaso

Venk: thanks for the recipe. Govind-ku pottiya kelabimteenga, saappattu vishaythilae.. Andha party thaan eppa parthalum, keera vadai, dosai, uk curry solli vadhaippaarrr. I don't like pongal at all and I also heard bad reviews about masoor dhal - that it gives you stomach pain.. Is that true?

So, vera enna pondatti-kku samachu kudupeenga neenga?

Sri

Quote Originally Posted by yasodha View Post

BTW:templela taste panna mathiri cook panna vara mattengudhu...don't know how they prepare really????
    nariya ghee poduvaanga ..kai pakkuvam vera

kai pakkuvam vera
    Athu eppadi chings...kaiala nalla pesainthu kodupangaloooo
    ~~~
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by emyesbee View Post
    Athu eppadi chings...kaiala nalla pesainthu kodupangaloooo
    aaaaahhhh

irukalaam...

Vasan

Naangalum learnt from that.. next time irukkum pothu antha paatii kathaiyum sollunga..

Sri,

yenga irunthu ungalukku intha info ellam varuthu.. lentils are always good.. particularly this one stomach pain ellam tharathu.. vera onnu jaasthiyaagalaam for some people.. thats all..

Shy
    I Geetham

Quote Originally Posted by Shy View Post
    next time irukkum pothu antha paatii kathaiyum sollunga..
    Shy indha comment-la punctuation-ae illame pottuteenga... naan adha vera vidhamaa padichuttu, thaniya ingae sirichundu irukkaen..

Sri

Quote Originally Posted by srimathi_k View Post
    Shy indha comment-la punctuation-ae illame pottuteenga... naan adha vera vidhamaa padichuttu, thaniya ingae sirichundu irukkaen..

Sri
    SS -

PS: she probably meant in the way you read only ...

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    SS -

vera yentha vithaama padichaalum.. antha meaning thaanae .. avarkku time irukkum pothu kathai soli kettu iruken thaanae

Shy
    I Geetham

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    - Great Minds, Tinks?

Quote Originally Posted by 3(Sh)y View Post
    vera yentha vithaama padichaalum.. antha meaning thaanae .. avarkku time irukkum pothu kathai soli kettu iruken thaanae

3(Sh)y
    Generla vaathiyar pullai makkunu dhaan solluvaanga... inga vaathiyaare makku... ennatha panna ....

Quote Originally Posted by srimathi_k View Post
    - Great Minds, Tinks?
    Oh ya absolutely ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast