does anyone know how to make...burfi?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: does anyone know how to make...burfi?

Default does anyone know how to make...burfi?

hi guys...i wonder if anyone knows how to make burfi...particularly kaju or pista burfi?? ( no microwave version pls ) i'm just curious...i read one recipe on the web...and it said to soak the kajus in milk?? but then how do you grind it if it's been soaked? what's the point sum1 help pls with a recipe that they tried and succeeded with getting the right padham for sweets is such a pain hopefully will get amma to make it for me

thankooo :D

Unless you soak in milk or water how you gring into a smooth paste? Milk adds flavour

Krishnan

Quote Originally Posted by alphakrishnan View Post
    Unless you soak in milk or water how you gring into a smooth paste? Milk adds flavour

Krishnan
    yes milk adds flavour..i can see that...i didn't know you make it into a paste because it said to drain it then grind it...so i didn't see what the point was....

Ncm,

I have done Kaju/Badham cake..

For Badham ..soak Badham in hot water for a while..so tht it will be easy for u to seperate the skin and then grind it to a paste....depending upon the qty measure sugar....add sugar/water to a pan..once it comes to a boil/sugar melts ...add the badam paste...other spices if u need like yelaikai/saffron....mix well..so tht it combines and cook for a while....once it is ready...just pour it in a greased pan..leave it for a while...u can also add edible silver paper at the top....u can cut it two small squares/triangles and u can serve them...

for cashew u can either soak them in water or in milk..milkadds more flavour as per alpha
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us
    are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"

for pista burfi its the same way as badham...u hve to first soak them in hot water first and rmv the skin...and thn u hve to follow the same procedure....

wow thankooo sruti thankooo krishnan

ok that makes much more sense...the recipe i read had the cashews ground to a powdery texture...naturally, we were confused as to how to make it powdery after soaking it in milk...so we added the milk later...amma got mad at me as it took ages... it turned out ok...but thankfully as it was a trial, we used a small quantity of everything. how long should we soak the nuts for? also, if i wanted the burfi to have a white/creamy/off-white colour...do i not include saffron because otherwise it will turn red?

Ncm

u r welcome..

u can get the powdered form of Cashew/Badham from Groc store..it will save u r time of soaking/grinding....

For Bhadam/Pista soak it btwn 15mns - 30 mns...and chk whether u r able to peel of the skin..if not soak it for some more time...

Rgd Cashew...u hve to just soake it so tht whn u grind them it will be easy for u and the paste will come smooth...

Saffron its upto u..if u want u can add them...and if u dnt want the threads..just soak them in little qty of milk and then add the milk along with the sugar syrup...it will not turn red..depng upon the qty of thrds u r soaking the color of te milk will be btwn light yellow to bright yellow color....

wow really...i will have to have a look...i never knew the grocery store will have powdered version...wud save a lot of time...will have a look for it...very nice explanation thankooo again

u r welcome..panittu...apdeye anupi vaingo....

Quote Originally Posted by Sruti View Post
    Ncm,

I have done Kaju/Badham cake..

For Badham ..soak Badham in hot water for a while..so tht it will be easy for u to seperate the skin and then grind it to a paste....depending upon the qty measure sugar....add sugar/water to a pan..once it comes to a boil/sugar melts ...add the badam paste...other spices if u need like yelaikai/saffron....mix well..so tht it combines and cook for a while....once it is ready...just pour it in a greased pan..leave it for a while...u can also add edible silver paper at the top....u can cut it two small squares/triangles and u can serve them...

for cashew u can either soak them in water or in milk..milkadds more flavour as per alpha
    Thank you Sruti ... was wondering what to do in the long weekend ... so now I have lot to do ...

hm...nalla pannuge Rajesh...panitu sollunge epdi vanthuthunu...

:mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp: - my peran making burfi... How did it come out?

I made badam cake with my sister's instructions.. came out awesome.. I added saffron, which my sister says improves the flavor of badam.. It did not change color..

Sri

Kalkurunge Sri...ethan vayuthu vali karanama solleve elle

Quote Originally Posted by Sruti View Post
    Kalkurunge Sri...ethan vayuthu vali karanama solleve elle
    I didn't make it now, Sruti... I did it when my best friend's wife got pregnant.. bakshanam panni anuppanum illae.. adhaan...

Sri

hm...seri.....aduthavati panina engeum anupungo

Of course.. Ungalukkum Jada-mudi-kkum illamayaa?

Sri

Danke.......

+ Reply to Thread