What to buy - Readymade eatables
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to buy - Readymade eatables

Lightbulb What to buy - Readymade eatables

Hey guys,

Not always do we(ok ok appo appo me) cook and eat. Sometimes readymade items are so good, than taking the pain of preparing it from scratch.

So, please list those items and brandnames and places where u can get those. Everyone can enjoy eatinggggggggg

Shy
    I Geetham

(1) Frozen idiyappam - MTRs.. Those are really good.

(2) Amma's Manga thokku, Avakkais - Best ones

Shy
    I Geetham

1. Udippi's Idli

2. Udippi's Masala Dosai (MTR Masala Dosai is yuck!)

Sri

ps: Thanks Shy. Would be so useful for me (hey! I cook too )

Most food stuff by Lean Cuisine and Healthy Food is pretty ok. Not great, but you can deal with it.

Plenty of frozen food by Ethnic Cuisine is alright too. Indian, chinese and thai, I have tried. Manageable.

DiGiorno's pizza is not bad..

All of these are available in any regular grocery..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Thanks Vasan and Sri..

Sri..

Questions

(1) Sri, these readymade dosais illai.. will it be real dosai or with rava types.. because i bought once.. naraiya rava irunthathu.. i forgot the name.

but ippo u get Sri krishna's dosai maavu itself.. for like $2 u can try that.. real dosai mathiriye nalla irukkum

(2) Vasan, DiGiorno Ad paarthu iruken.. all microwaveable or base matum irunthu, u add all the toppings and then.. u can bake it aa?

Shy
    I Geetham

All ready made pizza (with toppings and all that), teacher..
    Just open the thingy, put it in the microwave, and nuke it..

You can also make it in the oven, but usually oven takes a while.. microwave is faster..

All sorts of pizzas will be there.. veggies, cheese, meat lovers, and several other kinds..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Shy View Post
    (1) Sri, these readymade dosais illai.. will it be real dosai or with rava types.. because i bought once.. naraiya rava irunthathu.. i forgot the name.

but ippo u get Sri krishna's dosai maavu itself.. for like $2 u can try that.. real dosai mathiriye nalla irukkum

Shy
    Real maavu dosai, Shy. All you need to do is pop in to microwave, heat it and eat it.

I've not tried Sri Krishna's Dosai maavu. Will give it a try. I once bought the readymade dough at the store and it was too kara-kara for my taste.

Sri

Quote Originally Posted by Sri View Post
    Real maavu dosai, Shy. All you need to do is pop in to microwave, heat it and eat it.

I've not tried Sri Krishna's Dosai maavu. Will give it a try. I once bought the readymade dough at the store and it was too kara-kara for my taste.

Sri
    Oh so nee solrathu frozen dosai's..just microwave it and eat.. vaaka ellam vendaamaa ooohhhhhhhhh understood

Vasan... toppings ellam irukumaa? I have seen in costco.. just the base ones.. tasty eppadi? me wanted to bake pizza once ok will try this epothaavathu

Shy
    I Geetham

The local indian groceries carry some idiyappam and aappam and such.. Which are pretty good. Don't remember the brand names. Next time will try to remember.

Same place they carry some frozen paraththas.. several different kinds.. One called kerala type and/or ceylon parathaa (nicely layered one).. not bad.

~~~~~~~~~~

Other quick stuff: Buy some salsa, and hummus and keep it at home (refrigerator will work for a month).. buy in small containers.. You can eat tortillas/pita bread with these. Taste pretty good. Sorta like the desi/mid-eastern/asian version of peanut butter sandwich..

You can even make hummus and salsa (and avacado dip) at home and store it. Will be ok for a month, with out any hassle.. Staple food..

v-
    Short Measures

Nice thread shy

MTR rava idli mix. ( very very good)

777 puliyodaara mix & 777 vatha kulambu mix ( yummy)

Shy....inga enga veetula we all love Freschetta's Ultra Thin 2-pack pizza singles...athula Roasted Portabella mushrooms and spinach pizzas vangunga...really tastes so good....American grocery storesla kidaikkum i guess...

yaso

Vasan... toppings ellam irukumaa? I have seen in costco.. just the base ones.. tasty eppadi? me wanted to bake pizza once ok will try this epothaavathu

Shy
    Digiorno is fully made pizza, Shy. You don't need to add anything.. Buy a bottle of coke, and a frozen pizzaa, turn on the tv and the evening is all good..

(so long as it is once a while, you won't have to worry about your health either).

~~~~~~~

You can also get pizza crust from various places. Costco is ok, but thats massssive quantity.
    Easy to make too: Bring it home, thaw it for a while.. buy your favorite cheese.. add all the toppings you want.. and cook it.. Usually some 15/20 mins baking does it..

Problem though is: buying these individual components (cheese and all the interesting toppings) is expensive, unless you are willing to make pizzaa quite often and use them. I make it once a blue moon, and if I buy them in any quantity, by the time I cook again, it will be spoiled.. so, its easier for me to buy frozen pizzaa or order from Dominos..

you can even get frozen ones in individual sizes. small 8 inch pizzas will be there.. 4 mins in the microwave.. By the time, I open a can of coke and drink few gulps, the pizza is ready..

(wholly lazy) v-
    Short Measures

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post
    The local indian groceries carry some idiyappam and aappam and such.. Which are pretty good. Don't remember the brand names. Next time will try to remember.

Same place they carry some frozen paraththas.. several different kinds.. One called kerala type and/or ceylon parathaa (nicely layered one).. not bad.
    Vasan... do u but the ones thats branded on those that are in ziplock bags.. also parathas.. romba oilyaa illai

Other quick stuff: Buy some salsa, and hummus and keep it at home (refrigerator will work for a month).. buy in small containers.. You can eat tortillas/pita bread with these. Taste pretty good. Sorta like the desi/mid-eastern/asian version of peanut butter sandwich..

You can even make hummus and salsa (and avacado dip) at home and store it. Will be ok for a month, with out any hassle.. Staple food..

v-
    hummus u can make? ..but me not a big fan of it anyway.. me make salsa thou

Shy
    I Geetham

Quote Originally Posted by Teena View Post
    Nice thread shy

MTR rava idli mix. ( very very good)

777 puliyodaara mix & 777 vatha kulambu mix ( yummy)

neeyum 777 visiriyaa I like their pepper rasam

Yaso... neenga solrathu next time vaanguren.. u mean thin crusts? I dont eat mushrooms, so will try the spinach ones

Vasan... I agree... oru naal koothukku ella componentsum vaangina waste thaan I would go with the fully made pizza thaan...

Shy
    I Geetham

Snacks la yethu bestnu konjam sollunga..

each time I buy something its either namathupu poi irukku.. or not good..

haldirams fullum northy types thaan

hows kurkure

Shy
    I Geetham

I'll tell you what snack to avoid. It's Udippi's any bakshanam. It's full of dalda. While eating it melts in the mouth then in about half hour, your stomach will make you regret eating it in the first place.

Never tried Kurkure.

I like that Chekkalu and the varieties in that. Me too don't like the Northie stuff.

Sri

Quote Originally Posted by Sri View Post
    I'll tell you what snack to avoid. It's Udippi's any bakshanam. It's full of dalda. While eating it melts in the mouth then in about half hour, your stomach will make you regret eating it in the first place.
    me thought udippi thaan goodnu .. nalla vellai..

Never tried Kurkure.

I like that Chekkalu and the varieties in that. Me too don't like the Northie stuff.

Sri
    yeah me ithu try paniruken

Shy
    I Geetham

me thought udippi thaan goodnu .. nalla vellai..

Shy
    Maybe, try just once Shy. You can feel the kozha-kozhappu of Dalda in your tongue too. Don't know how they could sell such stuff.

Sri

Snacks la yethu bestnu konjam sollunga..

each time I buy something its either namathupu poi irukku.. or not good..

haldirams fullum northy types thaan

hows kurkure

Shy
    Very true. Snacks are not at all fresh in Indian grocery. Especially karams are old stock.

Try Haldirams son papadi, very fresh and very tasty

I like kurkure. My favorite one is red chili kurkure.Masala kurkure is also good.

Adi paavi Sri... Athu ellam sapitta stomach kadamudanu irukkumnu solli.. vaangi paarka vera solra nalla ennamdi amma unakku

Teena... Ok, me will try that

Shy
    I Geetham

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast