The Significance of Skanda Sashti
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Significance of Skanda Sashti

Default The Significance of Skanda Sashti

Muruga

Om Muruga Saranam
    Om Saravanabava

Foreword: Skanda Sashti, the sixth day in the bright half of the month of Aippasi (Oct 15 - Nov 15), is celebrated in Saivite temples all over Tamilnadu, and with an extra measure of grandeur in temples dedicated to Subramanya. Skanda Sashti commemorates the destruction of evil by the Supreme General Kartikeya, son of Shiva, and is celebrated with the dramatic enactment of Soora Samhaaram. Mention must be made of the grand celebrations at Tirupparankunram, Tiruchendur, two of the 6 'Padai Veedu' temples of Murugan. At Sikkal, the festival image of Subramanya receives a spear, from the Ambal shrine, and breaks out in sweat, a day before the climax of the festival. Vijay Raghavan, in this article explores the background of this festival.

Skanda: Skanda is an ancient deity mentioned in stone inscriptions and shown on coins ( 1st cent. To 5th cent CE) . The story of Skanda is found among others in the Mahabharatha, Siva Purana and is retold in Kalidasa's Kumara Sambhavam. Chandogya Upanishad identifies Skanda as Sanat Kumara. In Tamil, Arunagiri's Thiruppugazh, Nakkeerar's Thiru Murugaatrupadai, and scores of other literatures praise the glory
    of Muruga in devotional poetry.

The Story of Skanda Shasti is the story of the birth of Skanda or Kumara and the fulfillment of the purpose of His divine incarnation. "Tormented by the asura ( demon/anti God) Tarakasura, the devas with Indra at their head went to the world of the self born the creator" (Kumara Sambhava 2.1) The creator said " only the spark of Shiva can produce the hero who will defeat the powers of the evil" Unfortunately, Shiva The king of yogis was lost in a deep state of meditation and samadhi. None of the Devas dared to disturb him... least of all convince him to create a progeny.

Upon Brahma's suggestion, they sought the help of Parvathi and Kama (the god of love). Parvathi agreed to help and engaged herself in severe penance to attract Shiva's attention. Kama also agreed to help and engaged himself in the suicidal mission of arousing Shiva from His state of Samadhi. Kama shot his arrows of love at Shiva who was eventually disturbed and the fire of anger from his third eye burnt Kama into ashes.

The penance of Parvathi and the sacrifice of Kama paid off. Shiva was aroused from his Samadhi. However, none could bear the sparks of His fiery seed. It fell into the mouth of Agni, and afterwards received by Ganges, who in turn threw it into Sara Vana ( forest of arrow like grass). Thus Saravanabava was born. He was also Skanda - Shiva's power of chastity preserved through penance. Skanda was raised by the six mothers of the divine constellation of Krithikai (pleiades) . Karthikeya divided himself into six babies to be
    nursed by six mothers. When Parvathi came and gathered all the six babies, He became Shanmukha - the one with the six faces and one body.

Shanmukha became Kumara - the powerful virile adolescent who was also the beautiful and the handsome ( Muruga) . He was made the General (Deva Senapathi) of the God's army. "....Of the army generals I am Skanda."..(The Gita). Skanda received from his mother Parasakthi an all powerful Vel (lance). Hence He is also Sakthi Velan. He engaged the armies of Simhamukha, Surapadman and Tarakasura on a six day battle and vanquished all of them on the sixth day. The Asuras were annihilated and the Devas were liberated. The sixth day (Sashti) of the waxing moon ( sukhla) in the month of Ashada ( Oct/Nov) is celebrated as Skandha Sashti.

Indra was restored to his kingdom and gave his daughter Deivayanai or Devasena in marriage to Skanda. In order not to discriminate between the rich and the poor, Muruga also married Valli the gypsy damsel.

Skanda Sashti Celebrations

Corresponding to the six days of the war over the evil forces, devotees undertake fasts, prayers and devotional singing to Lord Muruga. Most of the devotees stay in the temples during these six days. In Tiruchendur and Tiruparankundram events leading to the conquest of the Asuras are dramatized and enacted. Offering of Kavadi on Skanda Sashti is a form of popular worship.

According to Swami Sivananda " the Lord spent His childhood in Tiruchendur and took Mahasamadhi at Kathirgamam. If anyone goes to Kathirgamam (Sri Lanka) with faith, devotion and piety, and stays in the temple for two or three days , the Lord Himself grants His vision to the devotee."

Shy
    Last edited by Shy; 11-15-2007 at 06:12 PM.
    I Geetham

soora samhaaram

Thiruchendur

Swaamimalai

Pazhamuthirsollai

Pazhani

Thiruparamkundaram

Thiruththani

திருப்பரங் குன்றத்தில ் நீ சிரித்தால் முருகா
    திருத்தணி மலை மீது எதிரொலிக்க ும்

திருச்செந் தூரிலே வேலாடும்
    திருப்புகழ ்பாடியே கடலாடும்

பழநியிலே இருக்கும் கந்தப்பழம் - நீ
    பார்வையிலே கொடுக்கும் அன்புப்பழம ்

பழமுதிர்ச் சோலையில் முதிர்ந்தப ழம் -
    பக்திப்பசி யோடு வருவோர்க்க ு ஞானப்பழம்

சென்னையிலு ம் கந்த கோட்டமுண்ட ு - உன்
    சிங்கார மயிலாடத் தோட்டமுண்ட ு

உனக்கான மனக்கோயில் கொஞ்சமில்ல ை - அங்கு
    உருவாகும் அன்புக்கோர ் பஞ்சமில்லை !
    உருவாகும் அன்புக்கோர ் பஞ்சமில்லை

Shy
    I Geetham

உருவாகும் அன்புக்கோர ் பஞ்சமில்லை !
    உருவாகும் அன்புக்கோர ் பஞ்சமில்லை

translation/summary plz...thankooo
    Sonnavan Kannan...Solbavan Kannan...
    என்.சி.எம் (N.C.M)

I was feeling bad about missing out on Kandha Sashti. At least had a chance to look at the pictures. Thankoooo Shy.

Sri

I thought many people outside India might have missed out seeing the Soorasamharam held in Tiruchendur. Being in Chennai, I got to see it in Podhigai TV live. It was really wonderful so thought of sharing what went there. Hope it will be useful for people staying outside India.

I am just reproducing what happened in the telecast. If I miss anything sorry

Commentary was done by three people of them Ilampirai Manimaran one of my favorite Tamizh Orator is one. Lord Murugan with glittering jewels and lots of lots of garlands made of limes was carried by group of people in a open pallak with a big umberlla above the pallak. First came Tharagasuran with elephant head nodding his head thinking as if he is the ruler of the world. He did magic by going around Lord Murugan in clock-wise and anti-clockwise fashion and thought the little boy (Lord Muruga) will get frighten. But Lord was not to be he killed him with his Vel and his head was thrown off. Then came Singa Mugan with Lion face he also attained the same fate. Then came the Soorabathman with a gigantic image. Lord Muruga was looking like a little hill when compared to that mountain like figure. But what is there in the physical figures its about good and evil. Good prevailed with Murugas Vel piercing Soorabathmans neck and his head being thrown off. Whenever Murugas Vel is thrown at asuras people just clapped their hands in coordination and many chanted "vetri vel muruganukku arogara"....It was so pleasing to see. I really enjoyed it.

All through the telecast Podhigai showed captions of Skandha Shashti kavacham which is a great idea. Ilampirai Manimaran was too good as always with her lovely descriptions, examples, quotes and her lovely voice modulation. A person who longs to be an orator needs to learn from her a lot. She is quite awesome One other commetator was Srinivasan and other one was Harikesanllur................. ...(I forgot the name...sorry). The last commentator quoted even Saint Thiagaraja's composition when describing the scene there in Tiruchendur. He quoted even
    Thyagaraja Kriti - Entha Nerchina - Raga Suddha Dhanyaasi

When I was thinking if Thiagarja has composed any songs on Muruga he immediately answered it -- he has composed a song in the rarest of rare raga Supradeepam - Varashikki vahanaa
    ~~~
    Blog

Like Dhidharashtra listening to Sanjaya about Kurukshetra war, me enjoyed reading (mentally visualizing) Soorasamharam.

Thankooooo berry, berry much, PP

Sri

அற்புதமான படங்கள். நேரிலே சென்று பார்த்த திருப்தி கிடைத்தது.

நன்றிகள்.

+ Reply to Thread