US Presidential Election - 2008 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Presidential Election - 2008

I hope they can pressurise the Pakis to close down all their terror producing factories!!
    MTD,

Heard that Pakistanis are saying the same thing about Indian Terror Producing factories..

GOP is more or less reactionary - meaning they will react to events, people etc. No imagination and out of the box thinking. No foresight. Nothing much creative. Some may call it dependable and such.. but worries me.

Obama.. When I look beyond the rhetoric.. hasn't actually proposed any plans that is exciting or forward thinking. His talks and such are mostly based on latest opinion polls it seems like. True.. people are (especially the bicoastals, except alaskans) excited.. but honestly.. he hasn't said any thing that I haven't heard before from John Kerry upwards...

If I was a moderator for the debates these would be some of my questions:

1) How do you propose to balance the budget?
    2) How do you plan to create jobs?
    3) What about those immigrants - legal and illegal?
    4) Timeline and plan for sustainable energy and energy independence
    5) How to avoid costly federal help for bubbles such has housing?
    6) What about health care?
    7) What do you plan - in total specifics - for education, especially math/science?
    8) How do you plan to improve infrastructure - roads, bridges, healthcare systems, emergency reliefs and such?
    9) How does fed plan to invest in high-tech and high impact areas of research - Nano/Bio/energy etc?
    10) When will the boys and girls in uniform get home? And how? What will be the foreign policy doctrine?

Utterly crucial, I would think, that there are concrete answers and specific replies to these issues.
    Rest of them.. who cares..

v-
    Last edited by vasan; 09-16-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

language people!
    Pakis and Trailer trash is hardly acceptable diction!
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Sorry, Blue.. Didn't know our neighbour friends are touchy about what I thought as a shortened version of Pakistanis. No insult intended ofcourse, but apologies for inappropriate usage.

Do Indians take offense too, if they are called Desis? hmm... No idea..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Blue - Pakis...not acceptable??

That was the only nicest way I could think of addressing em........

My apologies...

but calling them pakis... thats too bad MTD :P :P :P
    I Geetham

Quote Originally Posted by MadTownDude View Post
    Blue - Pakis...not acceptable??
    it'd be acceptable if your circle consisted of Klukluxklan members and skin heads..
    I'd never heard of the term desi prior to geetham- so no idea -
    but your idea of shortening of the word Pakistani is definitely considered a racial slur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard on the radio a man from Obama's constituency (or is it state) saying that he'd vote for McCain not because the other guy is any better than Obama, but purely based on McCain's "defence" policy. He feels that USA would be a more secure country if McCain's policies were followed-
    in fact he highlighted McCain's tenacity as his best quality
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

I heard on the radio a man from Obama's constituency
    Mr. Obama is a US Senator from Illinois. What that person from Illinois as well?

Constituencies are used in a generic sense in US politics. More a general block of voters rather than simply a district (congressional district, senate etc).. Or constituency of white female voters above 50 years old..

~~~~~

That caller is not all that strange. If the polls are to be believed nearly one half of the voters have such or similar opinions..

v-
    Short Measures

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelotus View Post
    it'd be acceptable if your circle consisted of Klukluxklan members and skin heads..
    I'd never heard of the term desi prior to geetham- so no idea -
    but your idea of shortening of the word Pakistani is definitely considered a racial slur.
    Blue....if you have not heard about the word Desi.....we probably belong to 2 diff worlds.....so what is considered offensive for you need not necessarily mean the same to me....if anycase the word Paki was not used by me originally in an offensive way....but now that you bring it up....I really have no problem using the word against a nation with people/ISI/army bent upon dividing is neighbour and pretty much responsible for much of the inflames.....

I do agree with Vasan regarding the home grown elements but the fact that our neighbour has an extremely minimal % of cultered hardworking peaceful is a well known fact.....

I have no intention of giving an apology to using that word since it was not intended to be offensive in the first place....."I would re-word that it is time any future president need to take further action against Pak if that region need to be more stable"....its a good sign both Obama and to some extent Mcain recognize that.....Bush had the right intention to some degree but he trusted Mushraff too much and ended up spending $10 billion before realising his mistake....a bit too costly for the tax payers!!

If I need to be a member of the K/skinhead gang to criticize the neighbour whose noble army holes the eye balls of soldiers caught in the war.....and being a member of the nation who was decent enough to release 91K prisoners...I am actually quite glad to take that role!!

MDT - I dont think she has a problem with you having your opinion about pakistan... but I think atleast in UK its derogatory to call anyone that way and she didnt want to make any racial slur towards anyone in particular......
    Well-timed silence has more eloquence than speech....

Quote Originally Posted by MadTownDude View Post

I have no intention of giving an apology to using that word since it was not intended to be offensive in the first place....."I would re-word that it is time any future president need to take further action against Pak if that region need to be more stable"....its a good sign both Obama and to some extent Mcain recognize that.....Bush had the right intention to some degree but he trusted Mushraff too much and ended up spending $10 billion before realising his mistake....a bit too costly for the tax payers!!

If I need to be a member of the K/skinhead gang to criticize the neighbour whose noble army holes the eye balls of soldiers caught in the war.....and being a member of the nation who was decent enough to release 91K prisoners...I am actually quite glad to take that role!!
    MTD....

Blue kku desi, pakis, goltis, mallu, madrasi ellam theriyaathu.. paavam manichu vitudungo....

Blue... its not bad to call them pakis or us desi's... not a bad word at all :-) in UK is it so?

Shy
    I Geetham

Yes Tinks/Shy....

I am kinda sensing Blue was referring to paki as a word used a a racial slur against all south asian's in Europe......why would I call myself?

anyway....sounds like a mis-understanding.....

In my dic....Paki used to be an offensive slur but now its used casually referring to a Pakistani....

sounds like I gave Blue some small education about subcontinent issues / politics!!

Blue....all is fine in the world now!!

Lets talk Obama/Biden/Mccain/ & the Liptick !!

Bush had the right intention
    Seems like MTD is giving Mr. Bush a 100% approval... Wow..
    Single handedly you will raise his approval rating MTD..

v-
    Short Measures

lol...No Vasan....I din mean to give a blanket approval for GW....

What I was referring to was...Bush probably wanted the Camps in Afghanistan border taken care of by Mushraff and trusted Mush to do the job....

instead of finishing the crap himself....he got involved elsewhere....

other things abt GW....the less said the better!!

All set for today's debate?? ;-)

BTW, Vasan did you hear Sarah's interview the other day.. it was like kids-day-at-work interview..

I guess the lipstick is wearing off ;-)

Shy
    Last edited by Shy; 09-26-2008 at 07:00 PM.
    I Geetham

I don't know which interview you are talking about teacher..

No worries. I don't wear no lipstick.

Frankly speaking though, I haven't heard Obama utter one word, beyond poor rhetoric. Have also heard Biden talking about as much nonsense as tv can handle. And McCain trying to crack silly jokes.

Mr O and Mr B aren't that big shakes..

v-
    Short Measures

Vasan, its not that shes been exposed to the real world by their team always.. I don't think she did anymore than couple of interviews so far. There was this rare she did with a couple of reporters day before yesterday or so. Simple questions and she as usual entertained us all.

I agree its not as if Obama is very experienced.. But come on.. Sarah

Shy

I Geetham

Today Biden is meeting with some world leaders - and NO PRESS.

Why don't anyone talk about it? One tiny news column tucked in the corner of MSN..

Thats the bias that bugs me..

Palin has no experience in foreign policy but has run Alaska for two years - and she is running as VP.

Obama has no experience in anything (except teaching in law school and community organizer) - he is running for Prez.

World of difference, don't you think?

v-
    Short Measures

your thoughts ;-)

unga opinion sollungo .. who u think won?

Shy
    I Geetham

Didn't see it, teacher.. Still at work..

thalaivar paadinaa maathiri..
    raman aandaalum raavanan aandaalum..
    namma thala ezhuthu maaraathu.. etc.. etc..

may be will check it out online or catch some rebroadcast on PBS later tonight..

v-
    Short Measures

Guys....I thought the debate was quite intense with both candidates standing heir own ground ....quite well!!

I thought McCain was so offensive that he was very much on the border of arrogance....but he is behind on points and so needs to show that aggresiveness. Obama showed no lack of exp when it came to world affairs and battled McCain word for wod I thought....and was quite classy too!!

I missed out part of the Economy stuff they talked but it appeared they really didn't have a plan....and made no promises....!!

When both these guys met Dubya at the white house couple of days ago I see them taking the farthest seat away from Dubya!!

other stuff ---

I duno if you guys saw David Letterman the other day....and his quotes about Palin....which I thought was funny!!

Palin desperately wanted come International exp so she went to International House of Pancakes for BreakFast

Palin is one brave politician who is brave enough to go on as hunting trip with Cheney!!

I dunno if she is votable but she does have a buzz around her....good genes I suppose!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast