Snacks(டிபன்) : Idli,Dosai Flour(இட்லி தோசை மாவு)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snacks(டிபன்) : Idli,Dosai Flour(இட்லி தோசை மாவு)

Default Snacks(டிபன்) : Idli,Dosai Flour(இட்லி

Hi,

I just bought a wet grinder. I used parboiled rice and urad dal for making Idli and dosa. When I prepared the batter in in my mixer grinder, both the idli and dosa came very well. Now I'm using the wet grinder, it is not coming so soft. What is the reason?

Hi sindhu

Usually the ratio for Idli/Dosa batter is
    Rice(parboiled) – 4 cups
    Urad dhal - 1 cup
    Fenu greek(vendhayam)- 11/2 or 2 spoons

If u grind the rice and urad dhal+fenugreek in this proportion then there won’t be any trouble in preparing the dough.

hi sindhu

why cant u try in ur idly rice.

in ur place if u cant able to get idly rice try like this

in ur mixer u will not grind more, that means the rice flour will be half grinded, but if u grind in wet grinder, it grindes smoothely

and one more thing if u grind in mixer the urad dhal wont come more

but if u grind in grinder it will come more.

that means the urad dhal will become more comparing to the ratio 4:1

so if ur using round urad dhal reduce little bit and try

or spitted urad dhal also reduce little and try

i think this will work

if all these never works

add a pinch of baking powder while making idli

this will definitely work

Ofcourse, I'm using that proportion. Also I'm keeping it outside for the whole night. I dont know what is the problem is?

Quote Originally Posted by rajeas
    hi sindhu

why cant u try in ur idly rice.

in ur place if u cant able to get idly rice try like this

in ur mixer u will not grind more, that means the rice flour will be half grinded, but if u grind in wet grinder, it grindes smoothely

and one more thing if u grind in mixer the urad dhal wont come more

but if u grind in grinder it will come more.

that means the urad dhal will become more comparing to the ratio 4:1

so if ur using round urad dhal reduce little bit and try

or spitted urad dhal also reduce little and try

i think this will work

if all these never works

add a pinch of baking powder while making idli

this will definitely work

Ofcourse I'm using Idli rice only. But I'm using the whole urad dal. May be I'll reduce the ratio and try that again. Thank you...

Sindhu

There will not be any problem if u use whole urad dhal and sometimes the batter won’t be soft and that depends upon the rice we use.It happens to me also and I have changed the ratio like 4 cups rice and 3/4th urad dhal and it just came out great but this proportion doesn’t suit with all the brand of rice and the brand now I have got accepts only 4:1 proportion to get a find soft idli/dosa.

Ferment the batter till it raises to a certain level in a vessel and immediately refrigerate.When u use the batter first that is immediately after fermentation idli will come out very soft and later when days pass by the fermentation process will gradually increase and dosa will come out so crispy. If u clearly notice idli won’t be that much soft after few days .

Yeah I'm keeping for fermentation also. I'm using Ponni parboiled rice and whole urad dal. What kind of rice is good that you think.

Hey I use...Pooni puzhugal Parboiled.. Is comes out just fine..

Shy

I use idly rice & urad dhal in the ratio of 4 :3/4 & vendhayum of 1spoon.I grind it with mixie.And after i keep it in oven,Idly & dosai will be soft. If it is not fermenting then warm the oven & keep it.It will be nice,this is my experience.

Thanks aruna...Let me try that next time. I used to put 4:1 ratio.Let me try to reduce the amount of urad dal a little.

hi jksindhu, what I use is longgrain rice instead of parboiled and when I am grinding I add a little bit of cooked rice and ferment it the whole night the next day the idli turns out to be soft. when I used parboiled rice I had the same probs.
    Life is full of dreams.

Minik

Hi jksindhu,
    Whole urad dhal is good for idli, i faced the same prb when i use splited urad dhall. i used to put in the this ratio:
    2 cups of boiled rice ( ponni pulungal arusi)
    2 cups of long grain rice
    1 cup of urad dhal
    For me idli turns out to be soft in this ratio, you can also try this.

hai sindhu,

Try this.. sure to get Soft idlli and Dosais..

Ponni puzhungal arusi - 4 cups (lakshmi/ raja brands)
    Urad Dal - 1/4 cup
    Cooked rice(left over) - 2 handful..
    Vendhayam - 1 tsp

Soak rice and urad dal with vendhayam seperatly overnight or for atleast 4 hrs.

Grind Urad dal with vendhayam just by sprinkly water. Grind it atleast for 20 mins.. the dough must be in pure white color and very light like cotton.

Grind rice with cooked rice for 15 mins by adding water.. grind to grainy texture(depends) or if its for dosai too, grind to medium level.

Mix both the dough togetherwith salt, by hand and leave it for fermentation overnight in the oven (if electric stove) or on the stove (gas stove).

Always grind dal and rice with the same water soaked.

all the best..

madhu, ungalke evalvu receipe varuthe partheegala. neenga chela thambi naal ellorum vande receipe ungalke tharunge. enne idli panegala, epadi vanthechu. :D
    Life is full of dreams.

Minik

Quote Originally Posted by Minik
    madhu, ungalke evalvu receipe varuthe partheegala. neenga chela thambi naal ellorum vande receipe ungalke tharunge. enne idli panegala, epadi vanthechu. :D

neenga kodukirae support-la mei maranthu thoongiten ..

innum panna time kedaikila mini .. panna odanae kandipa solluren ...
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

Default Re: Snacks(டிபன்) : Idli,Dosai Flour(இட்ல

Quote Originally Posted by jksindhu2002
    Hi,

I just bought a wet grinder. I used parboiled rice and urad dal for making Idli and dosa. When I prepared the batter in in my mixer grinder, both the idli and dosa came very well. Now I'm using the wet grinder, it is not coming so soft. What is the reason?
    i did not read others comments, so if someone else pointed this out please excuse me.

in my opinion if idli doesnt come soft, it mean urad dhaal / ulundu needs some more time for grinding, it must not only get ground but also must puff (ubbi varanum).

so try grinding rice finely and ulundu give it extra 5 to 10 mins. and then see, if you will do more dosa than idli, also try raising fenugreek as 1 1/4 instead of 1 (muru murunnu dosai varum)
    I always wondered why babies spend so much time sucking their thumbs. Then I tasted baby food.
    -- Robert Orben

+ Reply to Thread