Ingredients
    1/2 cup tuvar dal
    1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
    1 teaspoon Urad Dal
    3 red chilies
    1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
    5 sprigs curry leaves
    1/4 coconut, grated
    25-30 shallots, cleaned and peeled. (small red onions called sambar onions in india)
    1/2 teaspoon mustards seeds
    1 pinch hing
    2 green chilies
    2 cups chopped into big chunks vegetables, of choice (brinjals, carrots, french beans, pumpkin, yam)
    50 ml tamarind pulp (lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in 1/3 cup of water.)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons jaggery or brown sugar, can be substituted i guess
    oil

Directions
    Cook the tuvar dal till tender then mash.
    Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the fenugreek seeds till light red, then add 1/2 tsp urad dal and let it saute till they change colour .
    Add red chillies and coriander seeds.
    Add a 3 sprigs of curry leaves and grated coconut and roast.
    They should all turn light brown and aromatic.
    Cool and grind to a fine paste with a little water.
    Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
    Add mustard seed.
    When they splutter add 1/2 tsp of urad dal and the hing.
    Fry for a minute.
    Add the onions and green chillies, slit and the rest of the curry leaves.
    Add your choice of vegetables Fry till you get a nice aroma.Add a little water.
    Cover and cook till the veges are done.
    Extract pulp from the tamarind and add to the vegetables.
    16Add salt and crumbled jaggery (you can use brown sugar i think instead) and cook till the raw smell of the tamarind disappears.
    Add mashed dal and the ground masala.
    Mix well and add a little water if reqd.
    Simmer for a few mins.
    Serve with dosas, idlis or rice.

PS: I know there are already too many sambar recipes here but I found this one is very tasty for idli and rice.

but I found this one is very tasty for idli and rice.
    Oh.. I wanted one for dosa and pongal.. mera stomach... I mean heart broke..

Thanks, Doc.. Sounds fun.. but grinding involved.. will try it out may be next sunday..

v-
    Last edited by vasan; 10-16-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

I guess this sambar is good only for rice and not for idlies or dosas...

Thanks Teena for sharing...

yaso

Vasan, grinding la periya ingredients onnum illa . Just fenugreek, coriander, chillies, urad dal and coconut dhan.

Yaso, idli and dosa kku kooda it's good. Try panni parungha.

Teena...mostly inga Saravana bhavanla two types of sambar vachi iruppan...athula one is tiffin sambar seperately and athula no veggies at all and other one is meals sambarnu athula neraya veggies add panni iruppanga...so athaan neraya veggies potta idli or dosaikku sari varumanu yosichen...

Naan kooda usually veggies potta rendukkume use pannuven..but enna irunthaalum taste differs for rice and dosas..

Neenga sonna version vanthu veggies podama senja eppadi irukkum adding only more small onions? today try pannidalaama yosikaren...

yaso

yaso like you said if you make it just with onion then it would be apt for idli/dosa. Try pannittu sollungha.

teeeeeenaaaaaaa

you know what I'm going to ask don't you?

what is udupi?
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelotus View Post
    teeeeeenaaaaaaa

you know what I'm going to ask don't you?

what is udupi?
    Blues darling... not only Teena... all of us knew what you were going to ask...

Udupi is a place in the southern Indian State of Karnataka, a few kilometers away from Mangalore. The Krishna temple and its' cuisine are quite famous. Origin of this recipe belongs to this beautiful place.
    Dream is not what you see in your sleep; is the thing which does not let you sleep

Nandri daya. You saved me from this questioning child

Blue, All I know is udupi restaurant la samaber ippadidhan irukumnnu I read in internet.

Blog Entries

Add your choice of vegetables Fry till you get a nice aroma.Add a little water.
    Cover and cook till the veges are done.
    Extract pulp from the tamarind and add to the vegetables.
    Very Fine Sambar. I do not fry Vegetables. And we use coconut during frying or separately after frying the abovesaid other ingredients. Or you can fry Tuvar Dal with other masala ingredients and grind it with grated coconut and mix the paste into priorly baked Vegetables. You will get the Sambar. Anyway, I am not good at cooking myself. I like the Udupi Sambar here.

Its more than 24 hours since it is prepared here. Pls. keep it in the Refrigerator, otherwise it will loose taste. !!!
    Last edited by hnbhat; 10-17-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Hari Narayana Bhat B. R.

Quote Originally Posted by daya View Post
    Blues darling... not only Teena... all of us knew what you were going to ask...

Udupi is a place in the southern Indian State of Karnataka, a few kilometers away from Mangalore. The Krishna temple and its' cuisine are quite famous. Origin of this recipe belongs to this beautiful place.
    but Daya - wiki says that udupi cuisine uses no onions and such likes- so what about the shallots? there a type of onion
    and they don't eat string beans, potatoes, carrots, egg plants, (pretty much most of my staples )

next time I go to an Indian restaurant, I'm gonna ask them to make something from that region

samaber ippadidhan irukumnnu I read in internet.
    ada..daa.daa.daaa.. you believe everything you read on the internet, Doc?

to the ever curious always questioning kid :

Yes, it is udupi sambar.. and its pretty good..

Udupi is what Daya said.. a place in south karnataka, famous for the temple and cuisine. As for the shallots.. Traditionally most bhramins consider shallots/onions, and garlic as not-vegetables and there for not a part of vegetarian diet. Things have changed a bit these days (even egg is a vegetable.. some say.. ).. and you will find it in the sambar.. Chinna vengayam (pearl onion) sambar is pretty famous too..

So, yes. 50 years back the traditional udupi sambar had no onion. The currently evolved version has it..

Does that answer the questions, miss?

~~~~~~~~~~

Another very-much similar recipe is called araichu vitta sambar.. அரைச்சுவிட ்ட சாம்பர்..
    அரைச்சுவிட ுதல் = grinding. See the recipe Shy posted in somewhere here..

To an uneducated old person like me, they both seem the same. However if anyone wants to cook those two and prove me that they taste different, I am more than happy to learn..

Just make a big pot of rice too along with it, pleeeeassee..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post
    , yes. 50 years back the traditional udupi sambar had no onion. The currently evolved version has it..

Does that answer the questions, miss?
    yes, sir!
    (but I think it's cheating .. cos I bet it's more difficult to make a sambar with no tomatoes, onions and potatoes... so the real deal must be even better than this modern imitation )

To an uneducated old person like me, they both seem the same. However if anyone wants to cook those two and prove me that they taste different, I am more than happy to learn..

Just make a big pot of rice too along with it, pleeeeassee..

v-
    Nice try old man however you said in a previous post that'd give it a go next sunday-
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

I'm curious, could one of you who has actually made this sambar please post a picture?
    thank you

thanks BlueLotus
    i want to see the pic too.......since me not going to make it or eat it soo
    நான் பெரிது நீ பெரிது என்று வாழாமல் நாடு பெரிது என்று வாழ்வோம்!

Oru sambarku ivalo discussiona.... naanum evalovo varieties senjaachu...should try to do this...

yaso

+ Reply to Thread