Precautions for Microwave Cooking.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Precautions for Microwave Cooking.

Default Precautions for Microwave Cooking.

Please read this, before microwave cooking.

DOs And DONTs in Microwave Cooking

All microwave heating may not be the same. So have precaution when cooking.

Please read the Instruction Manual of your microwave and cook accordingly!!!!

Be aware that deep fry CANNOT be cooked in microwave.

Always use appropriate utensils for microwave cooking.

When cooking liquids like water, milk and other liquid recipes, make sure that they dont overheat. Also when done with liquid cooking, DONT PEEP on removing it from microwave, because of overheat, it might blow on your face.

When cooking in microwave with lid closed, be very alert when opening the lid, OPEN THE LID SLOWLY, because when opening the lid suddenly the vapour inside the utensil may come out quickly causing injuries to your hand, face etc. BE CONSIDERABLE DISTANCE AWAY FROM THE UTENSIL WHEN OPENING THE LID AND OPEN IT SLOWLY.

USE GLOVES when removing the utensils from microwave.

Food cooked in microwave, even after removed from it will take some time to cook. This is called STANDING TIMESo be aware when preparing some recipes like pudding, cake, biscuit etc, as it might overcook even after removing from microwave, resulting is bad food.

In normal cooking, we use oil before and then add the water. But in microwave cooking we cook the food with water first and finally add oil to the recipe.

(1) USE MICROWABLE PROOF, MICRO SAFE UTSENSILS FOR COOKING. ALSO DONT USE DISHES WITH SILVER AND GOLD COATING OR DESIGN IN IT. WHEN REFLECTED MAY CAUSE FIRE

(2) DONT ALUMINIUM FOIL DIRECTLY IN THE OVER OR TO COVER MAJOR PORTION. IT MIGHT CAUSE FIRE. WE CAN USE ALUMINIUM FOIL IS A VERY MINIMUM AMOUNT TO COVER A PORTION OF FOOD NOT TO UNCOOK, BASICALLY IN NON-VEGETARIAN COOKING ALONE.

(3) DONT COOK EGG AS SUCH. IT WILL EXPLODE DUE TO PRESSURE INSIDE

(4) DONT COOK POTATOES ,BEETROOT, DHAL(PAIRU) TYPES AS WHOLE. IT MIGHT EXPLODE. YOU CAN COOK THEM BY PEIRCING HOLES IN THEM OR BY CUTTING THEM.

(5) DONT ADD SALT WHILE COOKING. ADD THEM ONCE THE VEGETABLES ARE COOKED.

(6) ALL FOOD PARTICLES ARE TO BE OF THE SAME SIZE. SOMAKE SURE THEY ARE EQUAL, BECAUSE IN MICROWAVE COOKING SMALL PARTICLES COOK FASTER THAN THE BIG ONESAlways be cautious while microwave cooking..

Happy and cautious Cooking

Shy

A little more information about how microwave works..

To explain why it is at times unsafe using a microwave . you got to understand the proces..

In microwave cooking, the radio waves penetrate the food and excite water and fat molecules pretty much evenly throughout the food. There is no "heat having to migrate toward the interior by conduction". There is heat everywhere all at once because the molecules are all excited together. There are limits of course. Radio waves penetrate unevenly in thick pieces of food (they don't make it all the way to the middle), and there are also "hot spots" caused by wave interference, but you get the idea. The whole heating process is different because you are "exciting atoms" rather than "conducting heat".

So the water molecules get superheated ..So probably due to extensive microwaving...the water molecules might burst..

so cook safe when you using microwave..

Madhu
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

very informative post.... now people would know the working of microwave
    Thanks to shy and madhu
    Nan Dhan sakalakala Vallavan

Really thanks for the information, its really useful, actually i will keep potato directly in to the microwave and i will get a sound, it will burst, now i know what is the mistake.

I do this and it works fine for me..

Soak a paper towel in water and drain it. now cover the potato in this paper towel. do the same for the number of potatoes u want to cook. keep them in a microwable plate.

Cook for 5 mins. (This might be differetn, may be 7 mins in some microwave..) Pierce and see if it cooked with a knife..

U will get cooked potatoes

Shy

hi,
    if u want to cook potatoes .i think in most microwaves there will be a option as baked potatoes.so it won't be aproblem if u press taht the potaoes won't be overcooked and also it wont burst.
    punithasujin.

Some more points.

1. Always cover the stuff you are microwaving. There is a danger of them exploding.
    2. Do not use metal dishes or lids to microwave.
    3. Do not eat the stuff directly out of mirowave. Because the microwaves inside the food will still be on the process of cooking the food. So, if you eat them immediately the microwaves will cook your intestinal muscles too (which obviously is not good ).
    So, always let the food stand for a couple of minutes before eating.
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Yeah that option is for baked potatoes.. Useful for making potato masala etc... If u try mine, u can do potato fry with it.. It wont be baked, but yet cooked.. then u can just to the normal stuff on what u do for potato fry

Shy

do not use aluminium foil in microwave. u can use that in Owen but not in microwave. If u want to boil water keep it in stove and dont keep in microwave.it will be safe for ur face. i heard a lot accidents caused by boiling water.
    Have a wonderful day Friends.

this is actually a good topic.good work shy.
    Have a wonderful day Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by madhu_aish1
    A little more information about how microwave works..

To explain why it is at times unsafe using a microwave . you got to understand the proces..

In microwave cooking, the radio waves penetrate the food and excite water and fat molecules pretty much evenly throughout the food. There is no "heat having to migrate toward the interior by conduction". There is heat everywhere all at once because the molecules are all excited together. There are limits of course. Radio waves penetrate unevenly in thick pieces of food (they don't make it all the way to the middle), and there are also "hot spots" caused by wave interference, but you get the idea. The whole heating process is different because you are "exciting atoms" rather than "conducting heat".

So the water molecules get superheated ..So probably due to extensive microwaving...the water molecules might burst..

so cook safe when you using microwave..

Madhu
    Hey Thanks a billion for posts on safe microwave cooking..

Specially for folks preparing hot tea etc using microwave note the comments posted by Shy and Madhu. If you keep it for several minutes (usually more than 1 min for a 40 W microwave) and boil water alone, it would be a problem. When you take the cup out, even a mild shake may cause sudden boiling of water and splash all over your hand and so on...

Oh, I am not picking on Madhu - but the molecules don't burst (not unless you go to ionization temps). Usually when you boil in a kettle on a stove, heat from the flames get conducted through the vessel, and boiling usually happens on the heater (kettle) surface.. and bubbles form on the surface, keep leaving the surface and mix and so on. But in a microwave the heating is (nearly) uniform and the cup surfaces are not necessarily hotter than liquid inside.. so usually the fluid is in a 'non-equilibrium' superheated state, and ready to form huge vapor bubbles given a slight chance. You shake it, and you disturb the state and provide that chance. And bubbles form and spill occurs.

If you must heat it up in micro wave. open the oven door, put a spoon (or a chop stick) lightly breaking the surface, keeping the cup in the microwave, and the spill will not happen.... (ofcourse, if you heat it for ten minutes, with one cup and in a 40 W machine, boiling will occur... whether you like it or not). Exercising caution is important.

If you heat it up for less time, then, why, ofcourse you can put in microwave... I do it... Say for 40 secs, and dip my tea bag for (exactly) seven dips, and heat it again for 30 secs. A hot tea is ready.. (Hey Mod, can this be considered a recipe post, for making a nice cuppa in a microwave...?? Just asking :D :D )

Sorry for the loooooooooog post.. Don't read it if you don't want it.. But if you have read this long, then you have read it any ways ..

Vasan
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

thanks a lot shy,i will try the method you told to cook potato and let u know.

some more tips using microwave
    1. keep the lime in microwave for 30 sec and then squeeze it u will get lots of juice easily.
    2. to peel garlic,place the garlic flakes in the microwave for 20 sec(but not more than that it will get cooked)and then peel,it will be very easy.(this can be done with small onions too).
    try it!!!

Its was really good to choose such topics, useful, informative. Thanks

IF YOU WANT TO REMOVE ODOUR FROM INSIDE OF YOUR MICROWAVE OVEN
    take 60 ml of vineager and put it on high for less than half and minute and wipe interiors with a damp cloth
    I always wondered why babies spend so much time sucking their thumbs. Then I tasted baby food.
    -- Robert Orben

Quote Originally Posted by Shy
    I do this and it works fine for me..

Soak a paper towel in water and drain it. now cover the potato in this paper towel. do the same for the number of potatoes u want to cook. keep them in a microwable plate.

Cook for 5 mins. (This might be differetn, may be 7 mins in some microwave..) Pierce and see if it cooked with a knife..

U will get cooked potatoes

Shy
    Another form of baking potatoes as well cooking corn cobs and other veggies is to wrap them up nicely in cling wraps (you know like, Saran wrap.. thin plastic foil that you can use to seal stuff... like you find in frozen foods..). That will help preserve the moisture inside and cook the food evenly. Saran wrap etc can be bought in any grocery shop - in the aisle where you get aluminium foils.. (is US... I don't know where to buy it in India).

Even if you want to cook some potatoes for another dish, you can microwave it up for couple of mins to reduce the normal cooking time..

Hope this helps!
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread