Is the Death Penalty good for society ????????????

View Poll Results: Is Death Penality Good For Society??

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 31.33%
  • No

23 27.71%
  • Yes, but only when 100% sure of guilt

34 40.96%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Death Penalty good for society ????????????

Default Is the Death Penalty good for society ????????????

Hello Geetham Members...Here is the Patti Mandram topic for u all....

I wish every one to participate and bring this Patti Mandram more active than the previous one...Later I will announce that when Im going to post the results....

Thank u

Bye Bye

Be Happy.....

Download -Filesonic-Premium-Accounts-(Updated-Daily)
    http://www.geetham.net/forums/showthread.php?40717

Yes absolutely. In India, proving 100% guilty and all very difficult. What happened in Navarasu's case in way back 1996. Mere proof say 50-75% is enough to punish anyone. I fully support for YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    Endrum Anbudan,
    Bala

YES! YES! YES!

Its always not easy toprove 100% of the guilt. But if the jurors & law inds a person significantly guilty, and if the person is not fit to be part of society, YES he needs the death penalty.

Why risk the rest of the society? A life sentence is not enough. I strongly stand for death penalty.

While it may be easy for the accused to get away just on the basis that the law demands proof of his involvement in the crime, it will become harder in case it is modeled on the lines of the U.S. Justice system - the accused will have to prove his innocence rather than the other side trying to prove his involvement.
    வாழிய செந்தமிழ்!

I think I wud say *No* to the main query...

Simple reason being, awarding Death penalty in the court and executing the verdict is not going to stop people from commiting the same crime or lesser / higher harmful crimes...

And a person who shows no remorse for his actions will not show any kinda emotional disturbances too while being executed.... Where does one instill fear in the mind of a Criminal ??? I am sure Death penalty is what it takes to do that... take the recent example... John Allen Muhammed and Malvo trial in the US ... the Jury passed the death penalty verdict... and US is one the countries in the world leading in Death Penalties and Executions... Still those two guys (one is a teenager) went ahead and shot dead arnd 10 people and injured about a dozen more... surely the people of that country know that there was something called as Death penalty.... So u see.... It aint going to do any good for the society, neither does it prove ineffective... Ofcourse there are some who are turned away from Crime at the thought of receiving a death penalty... but what about the others ??? After all It takes just one man to kill atleast 10 People these days, with the amount of technological advancements in the name of weapons....

So what is the solution ??? Rather I wud prefer a psychological approach to teaching a lesson to the criminals.... Put them in solitary confinement and attack their emotions... Make sure they feel and realise what Loneliness is all about... Make then feel what "Loss" means to one self... Whether it be a loss of life or the loss in contact with ur fellow human beings...

I think, Mankind can take death, since its part of life.... But I dun think many (majority of Humans) can take loss in contact or communication with ur fellow human beings all that well... that way U can instill in the mind of the criminal the true value of life and true value of ur acts..... and also make sure that they get it across to him !!!!

More after other response.... Have fun !!! Cheers...
    It is not for me to attempt to fathom the inscrutable workings of Providence. -- The Earl of Birkenhead

I will say 'No'.

Firstly, no other human beings have the right to take someone else's life. Even if it is a judge or members of the jury.

Secondly, what is the point of having capital punishment? Is there any use from it? Apart from the satisfaction of exacting revenge, I see no other point in sentencing somebody to death.

Thirdly, the arguments of criminals getting afraid by the death sentence is not valid, as we are seeing more and more murders these days, with the murderers without any fear.

So, I might've agreed with capital punishment if there has been some good results out of it. But we see none.

Quote Originally Posted by balaiitm
    Yes absolutely. In India, proving 100% guilty and all very difficult. What happened in Navarasu's case in way back 1996. Mere proof say 50-75% is enough to punish anyone. I fully support for YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    What's your point bala, you are not supporting your view with any arguments. There no point in just baying for someone else's blood, without any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by truepeeny
    Its always not easy toprove 100% of the guilt. But if the jurors & law inds a person significantly guilty, and if the person is not fit to be part of society, YES he needs the death penalty.
    If someone is not fit to be part of a society, he can be put in jail for life. And I mean life, not just 25 years. What is the need for the death sentence?
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

well it is true that no one has the right to take any other person's life..but you are not going to take the life of a mahatma or mother teresa..you are just going to punish a third rate criminal for his ruthless action.. laws are made only for governing the life of every individual so if someone intentionally crosses the limits he/she should be definitely punished with death sentence

i just came across two posts by our other two friends...

the arguments of criminals getting afraid by the death sentence is not valid, as we are seeing more and more murders these days, with the murderers without any fear.
    Death sentence is the highest degree of punishment ...if no one is afraid for it then how can it be expected that punishements like life sentencing will yield some favourable results??

a psychological approach to teaching a lesson to the criminals....
    Put them in solitary confinement and attack their emotions...
    Make sure they feel and realise what Loneliness is all about
    same answer to the previous quote

If someone is not fit to be part of a society, he can be put in jail for life.
    And I mean life, not just 25 years. What is the need for the death sentence?
    yes he is going to spend the rest of his life in prison but how will it be a lesson to the other criminals like him outside the jail?

cheers
    lodestar

While it may be easy for the accused to get away just on the basis that the law demands proof of his involvement in the crime, it will become harder in case it is modeled on the lines of the U.S. Justice system - the accused will have to prove his innocence rather than the other side trying to prove his involvement.
    So Sbeshan what ru trying to say.....to whom ur voting to....u havent mentioned any ting before u start ur arguement......Do u know the rules....A Person who starts to talk about a particular topic must say about which he is going to talk....I mean what u have choosen in the poll...Please in next post try to follow that...thank u....

Be Happy....

So what is the point in ur quote Lodester.....Just read the previous post i wrote for sabeshan....

Thank u

Be Happy....

LODESTER

As u say, if no one is afraid with death sentences, then by putting them in Jail for life does not mean that others are going to get afraid..... And if no one is going to get afraid to *ANY* laws that govern a society, then there is no point in having a death sentence or a Life sentence... Both wud boil down to the same !!!

The point is By giving a Life sentence to a criminal, without bail for instance, u r isolating him from the society, which in turn will surelyt have an effect on the individual... By the way, Hope u wud remember that EVEN THE GREAT MAHATMA was given a IMPROMPTU DEATH SENTENCE by SOMEONE who thought that Mahatma was not fit for the society and that he has done more harm than good ..... Godse took it upon himself the rule of the land and the laws of Jusitce and Put an end the GREAT MAHATMA's life !!!! What wud u say for that ????

But If Godse took the life of the great Mahatma, what good is it going to do by taking the life of Godse ??? Do U mean to say that, that Executing Godse will in any way try to answer the death of the Mahatma ???? No way ....

Everyone knows that Murders n Robberies and Rapes are on the rise by the day .... and that no one is afraid of whatever goddamn laws that exist in this world... Be it national or international laws..... So doesnt really matter as to whether u give a death sentence... Rather, as one of the viewers posted, and as I had said previously, Give him a Life sentence, and put him in Solitary confinement.... LET WATEVER THIRD RATE CRIMINAL A PERSON BE, Even he will have people who are near and dear to him in the society, and I am sure he will get out his remorse when he is far far away from them in terms of contact and communication....

And as u wud be knowing, NO INDIVIDUAL HAS ANY RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY THE LIFE OF ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL.... Hell doesnt matter whether u r a Policeman / Judge / Jury ......
    It is not for me to attempt to fathom the inscrutable workings of Providence. -- The Earl of Birkenhead

Well Well Well Sweetie great point of attraction....

Hey Members can u all see this Here is the next Comenaughty and Shy...

Wow...I m sure now that this topic will be good than the previous topic...Lol...

And Sweetie Pls wait for other two teams to Argue...Till that its ur Break.......

Be Happy....

Hi all
    First i like to clarify what is proven 100 % guilty and what is not proven 100 % guilty?.If the topic is related to Indian constitution its framed in such a way that those whoare proven guilty can only be punished (whether its life sentence or a year imprisonment).Most of victims escape from benefit of doubt.In general i would support death sentence for crime against children and women, corruption for politician.
    Death sentence is a must.
    Laws are formulated so that we live in a highly disciplined way.Unless the rules are strict people commit mistakes.Most of u s know we are doing mistakes but we repeat it until we are caught....
    '' A convicted victim is an example for others ,of how one should not lead such a life''
    I am back.........

Quote Originally Posted by katteri
    '' A convicted victim is an example for others ,of how one should not lead such a life''
    True... A convicted individual shud serve as an example to others.... That does'nt mean a Convicted individual who is executed by a Death sentence will be alone a living example...

He can also be a LIVING EXAMPLE OF A CONVICTED INDIVIDUAL !!!!

Afterall who are we (As mere mortal human beings) to take the life of others ????

What do U mean by *Unless the rules are strict, people commit mistakes* ???? Do U mean to say that the CURRENT LAWS OF OUR NATIONS AND THE WORLD are not being held in Strict Implementation ???? Come on..... Think again !!!

Everybody who is in support of the death sentence is just keeping on saying, it is a must etc., but are not giving us any arguments to support it.

What I can't see is the real use of death senence compared to life sentence. Stop this attitude of taking revenge and think clearly people
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Yep Shidinesh.... *stop this attitude of taking revenge* is the way to put it.... cant be in a more clear perspective I guess... I wud second that...

As u say, if no one is afraid with death sentences
    friend i did not say that ..it was ur view thatz why i quoted what you had stated as your opinion on the top..and gave a reply to it..in my previous post

well i made a quote of this
    the arguments of criminals getting afraid by the death sentence is not valid, as we are seeing more and more murders these days, with the murderers without any fear.
    and i had a reply to it that death sentence is highest degree of punishment if you state that itself will not be effective then how will the other punishments be favourable...? referring the quote ..ok?

Do U mean to say that, that Executing Godse will in any way try to answer the death of the Mahatma ????
    executing godse will not answer the death of mahatma but it will put an end to such similiar occurence in future..instead of searching the answer of the dead we should aim to protect the existing..

suppose in a college or institution if a student commits a big mistake and the management takes a action of debaring him/her from the college..the management is well aware that it will spoil the career of the accused student but it goes on with its decision to atleast keep up the disciplne among the other students who study there...so that such kind of practice does not happen in future...others will have a fear that they would have to face the same situation if they misbehave and try to be within limits...

similarly if the convict is given the highest degree of punishment by the jury..it will be a lesson for others

Give him a Life sentence, and put him in Solitary confinement.... LET WATEVER THIRD RATE CRIMINAL A PERSON BE
    it is not sure that he is going to change himself after the life sentence..and howcome it will be a lesson to others? but if he is executed that will induce a fear in others

cheers

** executing godse will not answer the death of mahatma but it will put an end to such similiar occurence in future.. ** -- From Lodester

Dear buddy... Have u forgotten wat happened to the Likes of Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi ?????

Guess the *future* which U have mentioned is not yet here !!!!

EVEN THOUGH THERE HAVE BEEN HUNDRED' OF EXECUTIONS, Still people keep doing the same old Crimes right ???? Then how do U say that by executing people, that will induce a fear in others ?????

A nice and touchy topic to discuss . Here comes my part of argument..

First of all . the poll should have only 2 options. "yes" or "No". What does 100% guilty means . As per many countries law. The defendant is looked as Not guilty . It is the necessity of prosecution to prove guiltiness with records and Proofs. Until proved and convinced he can't be convicted. So 100% guilty doesn't make sense to me..

Now to the actual topic. I would strongly say a "No" to death penalty. The value of Human Life needs to be respected at any cost. It is not a chemical process to make it reversible.

In today's world where money rules people, where corruption exists in all levels..it is possible for a person who is not guilty to be convicted. There have been incidents reported about misjudgements which have costed lives.. Everyone needs to accept .."To Err is Human".. I wont disagree that there are people out there who most certainly deserve death, I'm just stating that I'd hate to be one of the people to decide his or her fate. My reason - what if I'm wrong?

Many will quote, 'The Bible says, "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life." They will go into the Law of Moses and bolster their views through the various passages that declare that the law of God supports it. But Look at this tooo..As Mahatma gandhi said, "An eye for an eye will only serve to make the whole world blind."

Capital punishment is not the answer. It is not a solution to crime. It is merely a 'bandaid' solution to a festering wound upon the soul of society. It doesn't stop crime, it doesn't curb crime. Killing on either side of the law is still killing. It only serves to further the shedding of blood, and inflaming the underlying rage that society bears at present. Capital punishment isn't about justice, or restitution. It's about vengeance and revenge.

Pro-capital punishment pundits would give away statistics in support of capital punishment For example surveys like these.... 'Do you support capital punishment?' many will answer in the affirmative. ......Ironically , reframe them and ask , 'Do you support capital punishment, or would you support alternatives' .If an alternative choice is given then public support for capital punishment would definetely plummet like todays stock Market .

I hope I have put down some of my points here. I dont wanna exhaust too much...

By the time i completed this posting . I have gulped 3 cans of bud-weiser .. I know it is felony for "Driving under Influence of alcohol" but not a big crime posting under influence of alcohol...
    Gotto catch sleep..

Looking for more heated arguments. danks to sofia for a nice topic..

Madhu
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

EVEN THOUGH THERE HAVE BEEN HUNDRED' OF EXECUTIONS, Still people keep doing the same old Crimes right ???? Then how do U say that by executing people, that will induce a fear in others ?????
    if you say the highest degree of punishment ie deatth sentence is itself not favourable then how will less degree punishments prove useful to restrict crimes?????????

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast