Hindi Vs Tamil - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hindi Vs Tamil

lol..

its a hard topic to discuss. The general fact is: hindi is our national language. Tamil is the next important one..followed by telugu. Going back..to thousands of years..it was all sanskrit. Now tamil is derivative of sanskrit..is some means and then developed on its own.
    HIndi was a copy of sanskrit...that makes hindi very brittle interms of origin.

Its easy to learn hindi....or atleast talk hindi than to talk tamil..(i'm talking from my personal experience). Anyway...all languages are equal. Thats the final conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ravigoteti
    lol..

its a hard topic to discuss. The general fact is: hindi is our national language. Tamil is the next important one..followed by telugu. Going back..to thousands of years..it was all sanskrit. Now tamil is derivative of sanskrit..is some means and then developed on its own.
    HIndi was a copy of sanskrit...that makes hindi very brittle interms of origin.

Its easy to learn hindi....or atleast talk hindi than to talk tamil..(i'm talking from my personal experience). Anyway...all languages are equal. Thats the final conclusion.
    Wrong... Ravi, please read about Indian languages and you will know tamil is NOT a derivative of sanskrit. Infact it is the only indian language with out any sanskrit influence.

btw, I love all languages (be 'em indian or otherwise).

Hmmm...I'm sorry I'm bringing this thread up again, but I have to. First things first. Hindi is NOT India's national language. It is our OFFICIAL language. Read the Indian Constitution, please. There are 22 NATIONAL languages (I believe) . Notice the difference between "official language" and "national language".

Ok, I understand Hindi but can't speak it for nuts - that doesn't make me less Indian, does it? I get so p!ssed off when someone says, "How can you be Indian, if you can't speak the language?"!!! Just because the majority of Indians speak Hindi doesn't mean everyone should. If that were the case, since the majority of Indians are Hindus, let me be the first to order all non-Hindus to convert immediately to Hinduism.

I'm having a bad day.
    Over and out.

Ennppa ithu aniyayam. Namba naattai aandu suraiyaadittu pona Britishers-oda language-ai accept pandreenga namba naattu bhashaiya accept panna maatteengala? Appadinna English-aiyum ozhicchudunga! Naan otthukkaREn.

Appadi Hindi-la enna kuraiya kandeenga neenga? Athu evvalavu azhagaana mozhinnu Hindi therinjavangalukku thaan theriyum. Athulaiyum evvalavo azhagaana kaaviyangkal padalkal pala aringyarkalin padaippukkal elllam irukku. Modhalla naan oru Indian athukkappuram thaan thamizan-ngara ninaippu nam ovvoruttharukkum irukkanum.

I get really pissed off when somebody talks ill about Hindi language. Ellaarum kattayam Hindi padicchaaganum appadinnu rule kondu varanum. Atleast everybody should know to speak in Hindi. That is my view.

Ennppa ithu aniyayam. Namba naattai aandu suraiyaadittu pona Britishers-oda language-ai accept pandreenga namba naattu bhashaiya accept panna maatteengala? Appadinna English-aiyum ozhicchudunga! Naan otthukkaREn.

Appadi Hindi-la enna kuraiya kandeenga neenga? Athu evvalavu azhagaana mozhinnu Hindi therinjavangalukku thaan theriyum. Athulaiyum evvalavo azhagaana kaaviyangkal padalkal pala aringyarkalin padaippukkal elllam irukku. Modhalla naan oru Indian athukkappuram thaan thamizan-ngara ninaippu nam ovvoruttharukkum irukkanum.

VPK...

Ithu hindi kathukave koodaathungaratha pathi illai... ithu hindi kathukarathu indriamaiyaatha onna illaiyaangaratha pathi thaan.....

ella mozhikkum athukke uriya sirappurimai irukku... athai yaaraalum maruka mudiyaathu... aana ella indianukkum hindi kattayamaa theriyanumgarathu avasiyam illai....
    மின்னல் பாதி தென்றல் பாதி மங்கை ஆனது

Priyanka, you missed my point completely. The fact that I know English does not make me less Indian; the fact that I do not know Hindi does not make me less Indian either. Like someone said in this thread (I forget who), English is considered a "universal language". Hindi is not "namba naattu bhashai". It's one of the languages, yes, but it's not the language. I've absolutely nothing against Hindi. Let it be a beautiful language...that's not even my point. However, the fact that several, if not most, Indians consider non-Hindi-speaking citizens to be "less Indian" irks the heck out of me - that is my point.
    Over and out.

Indha topic-la few postings parthen. Manasukku romba varutthamaa irundhadhu. Enna sonneenga application formsla hindi irukka koodaathaa? Local railway stations-la hindi-la announce panna koodaatha? Politicians entha alavukku makkal manasai kedutthu vacchirukkaangannu ippa illai puriyuthu. Oru foreign language-ukku thara importance-a yempa namba naattu bashaikku kudukka maatteengareenga.

North Indians Hindi-ya namba mela thinikkaraanga appadinnu ellaarum vaadhaadreengale. Appadi partha vellai kaaran English-ai namba mela thinicchuttu poyirukkaane. Vellai kaaran English-ai thiniccha otthuppeenga, Hindiyai thinicchaa otthukka maatteengalo. English-um vendam Hindi-yum vendam verum tamil porum-nu neenga vaadhaadina athula konjamaavathu gnyayam irukku. Vellai kaaran kuduttha mozhi enakku vendum aana namba naatu bhashai vendam-nu neenga vadhaadrathu entha vidhatthula gnyayam? Enakku puriyalai.

Aiyaa seri, neenga romba thamiz patru ullavanga. Tamil mattume padinga. Aana padichchavanga atthanai perukkum Tamil Nattulaiye velai kidaikkum-nu uttharavaadham thara mudiyuma ungalaala? TNlerndhu veli maanilangalukku velaikku poravanga evvalavu kashta padraangannu avangalai ketta thaan theriyum.

Neenga Indiana thamizanaa? Ennai porutthavarai naan oru Indian appuram thaan thamizan.

India enpathu pala bhashaikal ulla naadu. So different states-la irukkaravanga communicate pandratthukku oru common language venum appadinnu ellaarum otthukkareenga! Appaditthaane! Athu en Hindi-ya irukka koodaathu? Athu than en kelvi.

'Yen matthavanga thamiz katthukkattume' appadinna neenga vaadhaadinaa athai pola madatthanam veru onnum illai. Already majority of Indian populations-ukku Hindi pesa theriyum. Nambalum Hindi pesa katthukkitta enna koranja poyidum.

Naanum oru thamizacchi thaan. Thaai mozhi patru irukkarava thaan. Athukkaaha 'en thai moziya thaan katthuppen. matra mozhigalai katthukka maatten-nu murandu pidikkara aal naan illai.' Thai bhashaiyum venum Hindi-yum vendum. kannadigas, malayalis, telugu people ivanga ellaarum Hindi-yum katthukkaraanga, at the same time avanga thaai mozhikkum mukkiyatthuvam kodukkaraanga. Antha maadiri naam yen irukka koodaathu?

Priyanka...again you missed the whole point! I suggest you re-read my post. Let me clarify something first. I am an Indian first, only then I'm a thamizhan. Absolutely no doubt about that. But what does this have to do with me not being able to / not wanting to speak Hindi? That is the core issue being discussed here, which you apparently don't seem to understand. Like I stated previously, English is a universal language. To succeed (in most cases) in this world, you need to have a good grasp of the language. You are trying to bring this to a "vellai kaaran sonnaa sari, namba indiargal sonnaa thappu" issue. If Chinese was a universal language, I'd take Chinese lessons in a jiffy! BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT! If tamilians have to go to other states to work, their knowledge of that state's language would be a wonderful bonus. I wholeheartedly agree that if one knows hindi, one can easily move around India etc etc etc. BUT IF ONE DOES NOT KNOW HINDI, DOES THAT MEAN HE SHOULD? The case for Hindi and the case for English are very different...you are simply trying to drag them together for the sake of comparison.
    Over and out.

Quote Originally Posted by priyankakutty
    Already majority of Indian populations-ukku Hindi pesa theriyum. Nambalum Hindi pesa katthukkitta enna koranja poyidum.
    Ok..."majority of Indian populations" are Hindus. We have our fair share of religious violence in India - especially b/w Hindus and Muslims. Why don't the Muslims convert to Hinduism? Majority religion aache? Your logic is so flawed, it's hilarious.
    Over and out.

Naan ungalai sollalai coolian. Pothuppadaiya namba thamilians-ai patthi sonnen. Sorry if I have offended you. Hindi therinjavanga thaan Indians, matthavanga ellaarum not indians, appadi naan solla varalai. Vellai kara mozhiyaana aangilatthukku aaratthi edutthu varaverthuttu, namba naattu bhashaiyaana Hindiyai en karicchu kotreenga? Ithu thaan en kelvi.

Once again I say, I did not post this as a reply for your posting. Munnadi ezhudhiyirundhadhai padicchu manam nondhu poi ippadi solren.

There is no point deriding other languages. Let there be a billion languages in India - I'll have respect for each and every one of them...who am I to patronize one language and then oppose another? Priyanka, I just want to get one thing straightened out. English was "invented" by the British, but it has now been adopted as the lingua franca of the world. Who cares if it is a "vellakaara mozhi"? The English language is effectively uniting people from all walks of life, from all over the world, so it has become a necessity to speak it. That is absolutely not the case for Hindi, which is one of the national languages of India, be it official or not.

PS: Are you still sticking to your "if the majority does it, why shouldn't I?" theory? I sure hope not.

PPS: I'm not offended. This is just a discussion.
    Over and out.

Priyanka,

Lets see it this way also:

The essence of 'anti-hindi' agitation or arguments from then to now is only one thing : Hindi cannot be imposed on any non-hindi speaking Indians.

If the Govt makes a rule that Hindi will be THE OFFICIAL language, which means, hence forth all the communications from Govt, all the applications you fill in, will be in Hindi. All the national TV will be in Hindi. You cannot get a central Govt job, if you are not fluent and competent in Hindi.

In other words, in my own country, I will be treated as an outsider, just because I don't know some language other than my mother tongue. Why on earth should it be so? Its my mother land, and its a free country. Tamil is not a foreign language. Its my mother tongue.. To live as a free man, learning and speaking and communicating in my own mother tongue in my own country is what I am asking. No more, no less. Let every one speak and be free to learn whatever they want in whichever language they want. Thats it.

There is this hidden danger of a huge tradition and language and wealth of literature that might be lost, if we are all forced to learn a language other than our own - as a substitute. Any number of additional languages can be learned - thats entirely upto an individual. But don't force any thing on me - and don't quote 'patriotic ballyhoo' to me (not to you PK, but to the argument I mean.. :P). I am an Indian, and I speak Tamil. End of story.

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Vasan. I think that you misunderstood my arguement. Even I did not say that you should be treated as an outsider if you don't know Hindi, or something like that? Why you (you means not you in particular, in general tamilians) should have such an aversion on such a beautiful language. Naan tamil-e vendam Hindi mattum podhum-nu vaadhaadalai. Hindi pesa therinja thaan neenga Indian-nu sollavum illai. Ennoda vaadham ellam, Hindi-yum venum Tamil-um venum enpathu thaan. Oru foreign language-ukku kudukkara mariyaathaiyai namba naattu mozhikku kudungannu vaadhaadren. avvalavu thaan. Railway station-la Hindila announce panna koodaathunna ellam solrathu enakku ennavo madatthanamaa theriyuthu. Konjam vitta Rubai note-la kooda ethukku Hindi-la ezhudhanum? Verum English mattum podhadhannu keppinga pola?

As I have told earlier kannadigas, telugu people and Malayalis most of them know Hindi. For that reason did they neglect their mother tongue?

Priyanka...priyanka. Nobody has an "aversion" towards Hindi. If they do, that's their ignorance. I don't know how many north indians you're acquainted with, but in my case, 99% of my Indian friends are from the North. And at least 80% of them have an arrogant attitude in the sense that they believe Tamil Nadu should be ridiculed for not embracing *their* language, as did the other states. I sincerely believe that ALL languages should be treated equally. The fact that one language has more adherents than another does not mean one has to learn that language. Who cares if kannadigas, telugus and malayalis know Hindi? Who cares??!?!?!? You can speak all the languages of India...and I couldn't care less. You could speak none of the languages of India...and I wouldn't care less. If everyone smokes and drinks, would you? Because that is exactly what you are preaching here. "They are doing it...he is doing it...so is she....so why not us?!!" <--- this is ridiculous.
    Over and out.

Just because North Indians are ridiculing Tamilians for not knowing their language, it does not mean that we should not learn Hindi. OK. If that is the case you have right to say that 'wether to learn Hindi or not is my wish'. But you have no rights to say that announcement in Hindi should be stopped in Railway stations, etc. etc.

Again you have mis-understood what I said. I did not say that since 'cuz telugu people and kannadigas know Hindi and so we should also learn. I just gave them as example. Avanga ellam Hindiyum katthukkittu thannoda thaai bhashaikkum mukkiyatthuvam tharaanga. Athu thaan naan solla varathu.

Priyanka, I have no aversion to any language or people. I totally resist any one imposing their stuff on me. Thats it. (Not me, me in particular.. but the tamils, I mean.. in general!).

Vasan

ps: BTW, there is no such word as Tamilian.. is there?? Tamil is both language as well as the people who speak it.. :P I am a tamil, and I speak tamil. Just like Tony Blair is english (or is he? Bleeuuu.. let us know) and he speaks english. Bush is an american and he speaks english (not always correctly, but still.. :P)
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

I have not misunderstood anything. I merely quoted what you'd said, which I shall quote again, for your reference:

priyankakutty wrote:
    Already majority of Indian populations-ukku Hindi pesa theriyum. Nambalum Hindi pesa katthukkitta enna koranja poyidum.

No, if you want to learn Hindi, be my guest. But passive attitudes like this is what ultimately creates the arrogant attitudes that has become so prevalent in the North Indian society as a whole. The fact is, most Tamil people will not learn Hindi simply because they will never have to use it. Hence, most people feel it is an unnecessary "intrusion" to put another language in railways etc...but as Hindi is the official language (as is English), there is no choice.
    Over and out.

Talaivaa, unga alavukku arivum anupavamum adiyenukku kidaiyaathu. Etho enathu sitrarivukku ettiyavatrai ingku ularugiren. Adiyen ariyaamal ethenum thavaru seithirundhal dhayai koorndhu mannitthu arulumaaru kettuk kolkiren.

Vasan, you might find this interesting.
    Over and out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast