What r u reading now???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What r u reading now???

Default What r u reading now???

I just answered a post asking for online books... This made me curious to know abt your(people in this forum) reading habits...

To give a little intro for my reading habits... I have a thrust for reading and reading a lot....I started reading books in my 4th std..(originally started reading newspaper in kinder garden ..used to read it for my grandma).. I read anything on earth starting from history novels (sandilyan is my FAV) to jeffery archer.. To simply put it...give me a book ..I will forget the world and immerse myself on it...

I have also irritated peope with my reading habit..My mother never used to leave me alone at home when she see me reading a book as she complains I wont even know who is coming into the home or whos leaving... she says I sit there like a doll unaware of whats happening around me.. My whole family gets irritated at me for me reading books when I eat..

Enough of my story...lemme know abt your reading habits and what r u reading now... Now I am with a book of robin cook 'seizure' and 'staright from the gut' by Jack welch.....

digging up this thread to get to know abt others reading interests...
    Come here and share your reading interests....http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewto...?p=64353#64353

nice...but seems to me that no one is interested in reading.....

me too feel the same... Looks like people are more interested in watching movies than reading... Thanks appu atleast for replying...
    Come here and share your reading interests....http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewto...?p=64353#64353

I love reading too. It gives me an immense pleasure to read. Even I started reading in a very early age and I read all sort of novels ranging from classics to jefrrey archer.

Currently I am reading Fountain Head by Ayn Rand for the fifth time. I had decided to read it every year coz every year it gives a different perspective. An excellent book it is.

Do let me know how is the book seizure after you finish reading it.

Honeyarjun, Oops sorry for replying late.

I love reading too (it sounds sexy to read it you no). I read thinamalar, nakkiran and sometimes india today

To be serious, I am not that good a reader. I said I am married

When I start reading a book, I get immersed myself. And, I have a bad reputation for having a deaf ear when reading And, my timings are weird too. I can read the whole night.

hey priya good to know that there is a fella reader... I havent read fountain head yet..will give it a try..Thanks for sharing ur opinion..

I am finished with seizure..its okay...But I liked shock(previous one of robin cook) better than this .. Right now am reading Danielle steel 's secrets and sivakamiyin sabatham of kalki.. Reading danielle steel now reminds me of my teens when I was immersed with all M&B... That was really a good time...donno whether I will enjoy M&B like I used to be at those times... pbly I would ...me a romantic person by nature (Typical Gemini... )

I like mystery & suspense novels a lot.. but I read variety... yes...reading gives such a pleasure.... :D

Gokulan42....good to know that you are a reader too... yep...its so difficult to get time to read that too when you are married...!!!!!

I too used to read junior vikatan and nakkiran in India...now I read JV from net.. I have met nakkeran gopal in person..nice person to speak with... He looked smart too with a big meesai..(kidding ...meesai was so big it almost covered his face)

Yeah its nice to meet a person who enjoy reading.....
    U a gemini? thats great and me too...and so am a romantic person by nature too
    Fountain head is my favourite.
    I read three books of robin cook... some instinct..i dont remember the name..i think his best is Coma. I will try to read Shock..
    Somehow I cant stand Danielle Steel novels. I feel M&Bs are better.

Even i like variety... Agatha christie..is one of my all time favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyarjun
    hey priya good to know that there is a fella reader... I havent read fountain head yet..will give it a try..Thanks for sharing ur opinion..

I am finished with seizure..its okay...But I liked shock(previous one of robin cook) better than this .. Right now am reading Danielle steel 's secrets and sivakamiyin sabatham of kalki.. Reading danielle steel now reminds me of my teens when I was immersed with all M&B... That was really a good time...donno whether I will enjoy M&B like I used to be at those times... pbly I would ...me a romantic person by nature (Typical Gemini... )

I like mystery & suspense novels a lot.. but I read variety... yes...reading gives such a pleasure.... :D
    Sorry for the late reply !!!!!

I love reading a lot, basically it started back when I was in school, I was talking school bus for 45 mins, Appo started this lovely hobby .. Appuram I was like, with a book always, I will have a book in my bag always

Fortunately, here I travel to work in train, again morning and evening, book is my friend mathiri, always with me I read books by Daniel steels, Nora Roberts. Recently padichathu Dating Game. But I like Mystery, thrilling suspense books a lot... with a mix of Romance ..sydney shelton, higgins clark... any many more yaen even read all of Harry potter. It was amazing to see in the screen what u have read I used to imagine myself, but athai paakarapoo orae santhoosham ...

Shy

Adadaa, ithanai Geminis? I used to read Fredrick Forsyth and Ken Follet novels during college. It was from a lending library and we had a great reason for going there. :D :D. And Vikatan and Kumudham were staple books. After college, started working and access to Tamil magazines reduced for a variety of reasons. Then started reading tech stuff to keep myself from getting obsolete. Now I read only the internal memos of the company, press releases, market watch in my area. And my passion of Photography and Audio/Video/Home theaters.

But I read a lot of stuff online now. Especially columns on economy, WTO, law, anything and everything not connected to work.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Quote Originally Posted by priyaluv
    Yeah its nice to meet a person who enjoy reading.....
    U a gemini? thats great and me too...and so am a romantic person by nature too
    Fountain head is my favourite.
    I read three books of robin cook... some instinct..i dont remember the name..i think his best is Coma. I will try to read Shock..
    Somehow I cant stand Danielle Steel novels. I feel M&Bs are better.

Even i like variety... Agatha christie..is one of my all time favourites.
    Yep, shes great !!!! But after reading most of her stories, I could feel a pattern she solves the crime ... Its seems to me the culprit is always the nowhere near in the flow of the story... not like other authors, who at times have the culprit the person all along

I agree Danielle steels very few of her stories suck, like the dating game i just finished, but there are real good ones too, like The Wedding, The House on Hope Street, The Prefect Stranger and many more are really very good !!!!

BTW, welcome to geetham , priyaluv.. Good to have u here, Hope u enjoy ur stay

Shy

Thanks for your welcome Shy.
    I read two Danielle Steele novel and did not like her. Let me try the books you suggested and see whether I appreciate her novels.
    Agatha Christie is sure fun. The Big Four is always great and the ten little indians is different and good. Frederic Forsyth Odessa file and Day of the jackal is sure good.

So Shy you did not say who is ur fav author and book!
    I have never had a change to read Nora roberts. Can you suggest a good book by her?

Wow! just saw this one......I used to be an addict to reading. Never stopped reading a book in the middle and saved for later, if started I finish it... I was a member of all the libraries in the vicinity, and read all the commercial periodicals I could get my hand on, whatever subject they are on......Don't find much time these days sadly, with other academic commitments sadly.

I mainly read fiction. My early teens were spent with hardy boys and then the casefiles....then I migrated to more serious thrillers (espionage, spy stories etc.)...there was an extremely violent series about adventures of a guy called Mack Bolan, anybody read that?? (Hmm....comparing these with Honeyarjun's experience wih M&B makes me think how boys and girls develop different tastes... )

Then I was introduced to a guy called Tom Clancy, who is quite popular. He used to be quite good until a book called Executive Orders, then for some reason started to write with a tinge of US patriotic BS for some reason, and now I can't stand the guy (incidentially has anybody read Executive orders? It was published in 97 i think, and detailed how a plane piloted by a Japanese guy is driven into Capitol Hill and kills almost everybody etc, and goes onto explain how it's quite easy to do as air safety is not that strict.....scary how that happened in real life later on!)

Then there is Frederick Forsyth, who's every fictional work, except the last one, I have read. He is an excellent thriller writer. His books are reknowned for the minute detail about everything, crossing borders, obtaining false passports, organizing "following" operations and whatnot..... . The day of the jackal was quite popular(and which had a very simple but extremely clever method of obtaining a false British passport completely legally, which method was until very recently was there for everybody to make use of ), and was made into a film later on. But, I liked the "Fourth Protocol" most. It's an excellent book, and I'll recommend it to anyone, not just thriller fans, for an excellent read.
    He has also written two short story collections, which are not really thrillers, but cover various subjects. One of them "No Comebacks" details an ingenious method of how to make use of a court to make slanderous statements, without getting into trouble....

On the Tamil front I've read a lot of Kalki and Sandilyan, those big volumes....but my favourite in that genre is "aalavaay azhagan" by one Jegasirpiyan. An excellent book written in beautiful Tamil. I dont have much experience with modern Tamil writers though.

I would say my English knowledge was entirely developed by reading. I had very little English coaching elsewhere, especially as my schooling was entirely in Tamil. Even today my written English is very good compared to my spoken English again the reason being able to acquire a good vocabulary by reading!
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Wow!!!! so glad to see other readers here... I like Agatha christie too...but I have read so many of her novels and know her style so much so that I can find out the culprit in between(while reading)...At one stage I will start suspecting each and every passing character in the novel..

Yes..sometime Danielle steel's novels are bad...but I liked the first one I read of hers..think the name is 'star'.I read her novels for the emotions it create..

anainar..I like fredrick forsyth too..Fourth protocol is my all time fav...One of my cousin is a great fan of ken follet and asked me to read his novels..I tried one..but didnt like it.. (dont remember the name now..it was long back....).

shy..have u tried robin cook? its a mix of everything..esp if u like mystery and suspense with a bit of romance... I have read all the books of sidney sheldon and Jeffery archer and much awaiting for their new ones..(are they writing anything new nowadays???)..

Jeffery is my fav author...the story wont end until the last line... ken and able is my fav .. The first one of Jeff I read was 'not a penny less not a penny more'...good fun book....

Oops...forgot Agatha Christie, I have read most of her books by now. Shy' might be true in some senses, but generally I think it's our mentality of looking at the picture, where we choose to ignore some people as the story progresses. That's what the author wants, and when the mystery unravells we'll think thats the least obvious person, because we chose to ignore that particular person.
    Her books also gives a very good picture of psotwar Britain, and how people moved and behaved etc. I found that really interesting as a person living here, mainly because you can compare and contrast people's lifestyles. The British are quite notorious for their traditions and good manners....

Achacho! Forsyth has many nice ones. I have read almost all of his. Day of the Jackal, Devil's alternative where a tanker is taken a hostage, Fourth Protocol. All I finished reading in a couple of days. Ken Follet wrote Eye of the Needle which is a spy thriller. Awesome novel. It was made as movie too, but I did not like the movie a lot. But Day of the Jackal was made very nicely. Slick production without any drama.

I have read Jeff'sbooks too, especially the Not a penny more. Kane and Abel is another one I read long back.

Am I missing somebody? Yes, Harold Robins. tell me who has not read his novels, atleast one.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Jeffery archer and much awaiting for their new ones..(are they writing anything new nowadays???)..
    Jeff just got back home after doing time for perjury! Might start writing soon...

yes..yes..I have read harold robbins too... ..also Irving wallace esp 'second lady'..very good one.. Looks like I got start trying ken follet again...pbly will start with eye of the needle..

shidinesh...yes...he has just returned..but thalivar prison-ku ulla eruntappovae antha experience patthi oru book pottutarae.. but havent read that one yet...

Hi,
    Thats a good topic Honeyarjun and dont know how I missed it. As everyone else, during my school days, Novels used to be more enticing than my subject books and as every kid, I have read Rani comics and Poonthlir/ambulimama hiding inside my book without getting caught.

Later the same habit went on to read mystery novels and Love stories in tamil. My parents used to get Devibala,Sujatha,Bala kumaran,Anuradha Ramanan and Indhumathi from a nearby library and slowly I started reading them when I was in class 7-8. My mom didnt want me to read all those books saying tht those were for elders. Still, i used to hide and finish reading books secretly and tht increased my reading speed

But I was completely occupied by Endamoory Veerendranath- Susheela Kanagadurga Telugu-Tamil translation novels.. One more genre was the famous Perry mason murder mystry series..They are real old books but amazing narration. I just cant stop reading them. After school, my interest in tamil books slowly faded as I was in a hostel with more North indians. Then came Robin cook, Jeffery archer and Sydney sheldon. again once after I graduated and came to the US, for the first few months a big book of Bharathiyar kavithaigal was my only company.

Later on found tht there are tonnes of Tamil books at the Chicago Public library Literature section. This was where I found Prapanjan and Jeyaganthan. Old literature which have been a real classic. Though u dont find any great turning points/ plots/ conspiracy in those, I simply cant let go reading these works.
    Idhellam kandukkura padadhu Yenna Idhu Vaalipppa vayasu!
    சிலிக்கன்

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast