What r u reading now??? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What r u reading now???

Quote Originally Posted by priyaluv
    Thanks for your welcome Shy.
    I read two Danielle Steele novel and did not like her. Let me try the books you suggested and see whether I appreciate her novels.
    Agatha Christie is sure fun. The Big Four is always great and the ten little indians is different and good. Frederic Forsyth Odessa file and Day of the jackal is sure good.

So Shy you did not say who is ur fav author and book!
    I have never had a change to read Nora roberts. Can you suggest a good book by her?
    Priyaluv,

Try to get hold of True Betrayals, Scared Sins, I have around 50 books .. Will look into my library as I call them and let u know if I find anything else..

Appuram I dont have a favorite author, I love to read variably many books, not defined to a particular one..Enakku konjam mystery, konjam suspense, konjam romance irunthaa poothum

Honeyarjun,

Robin cook??? I think I might have read a few...can u name the novel... ...

Shy

Endamoory Veerendranath- Susheela Kanagadurga Telugu-Tamil translation novels
    I've read a couple of those. It's sort of supernatural mysteries isn't it? Quite liked them, but didn't get the chance to ready many....
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Thanks shy. I will try to read those.
    What about Ayn Rand? No Ayn Rand enthusisasts? If you ahve not read Ayn Rand, do make sure to read atleast Fountain Head or Atlas Shrugged. Her psychology is way different than anyone has ever perceived. Its simply great. Give it a try.

and what about PG Wodehouse -- a great author of all times and his remembrable Mr. Jeeves.

Irving Wallace books are also good. My favourite being Seventh Secret probably bcoz i read it when I was in School. Jeffrey Archer Kane and abel is really good.

What about classics? Anyone likes to read the good old classics of Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas etc. I like reading those classics more because of the language.

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice and Emma are again one of my favourites. The movies based out on this novel is also excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by priyaluv
    Thanks shy. I will try to read those.
    What about Ayn Rand? No Ayn Rand enthusisasts? If you ahve not read Ayn Rand, do make sure to read atleast Fountain Head or Atlas Shrugged. Her psychology is way different than anyone has ever perceived. Its simply great. Give it a try.

and what about PG Wodehouse -- a great author of all times and his remembrable Mr. Jeeves.

Irving Wallace books are also good. My favourite being Seventh Secret probably bcoz i read it when I was in School. Jeffrey Archer Kane and abel is really good.

What about classics? Anyone likes to read the good old classics of Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas etc. I like reading those classics more because of the language.

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice and Emma are again one of my favourites. The movies based out on this novel is also excellent.
    Thanks much buddy !!!.. Will try these and let u know.. Ayn Rand , seems to be great !!!

Shy

shy...I have read almost all the books robin cook..donno what to suggest for you as I like all his books. to name a few.. coma. mutation, fever, outbreak, contagion, shock and abduction... select any robin cook and read it..I can bet you will like it (unless you dont like to read abt the medical stuff and words in it..)
    Come here and share your reading interests....http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewto...?p=64353#64353

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyarjun
    shy...I have read almost all the books robin cook..donno what to suggest for you as I like all his books. to name a few.. coma. mutation, fever, outbreak, contagion, shock and abduction... select any robin cook and read it..I can bet you will like it (unless you dont like to read abt the medical stuff and words in it..)
    Thanks honeyarjun, will try these ..Adutha 2-3 monthskku I have the list now to read , thanks to you all

Very long back I read one story, forgot the name and author.. I will tell the story thou, may be if anyone therincha sollunga.. Its abt mass destruction, New york subway Train la.. thru AC anthrax poodrathu pathi thaan kathai..Will be very interesting .. I am breaking my head to find the author and novel name anyone ????

Shy

naanum gemini ; nicer too see so many geminians here. i finished ayn rand fountain head and now with atlas shrugged for the fifth time.. she is really a great writer.. i used to read fredrick forsyth in school days.but now after getting married and that too with a kid it is ver difficult.. sometimes i go to the extend of reading atlas shrygged to my kid...

cheers

boons

Good to see an other Ayn Rand Enthusisast and that too a Gemini

Probably your kid will become an other John Galt. John Galt is a character in the novel Atlas Shrugged. He gives a speech for about 60 pages in the book..but every word is worth reading and you wont feel bored for reading such a big speech.

I read a book of Pearl S Buck called Living Reed. It is more about Korean Independence. The hero in that book is comparable with Ayn Rand heroes (her definition of men)!!

very true... i'll try reading this book..

cheers

boons

I like reading poems. My all time fav are Bharathiyar and Tagore. But i read any poem written by any author in simple english or tamil.

Novels... I am a poor reader... but i have read Colin Forbes, Grisham, Archer (enjoyed Kane and Abel the most) and Sydney shelton. I have read Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the wind" and its sequeal "Scarlett" written by Alexandra Ripley. Both were good, but liked "Gone with the wind" better. Sadly, Margaret Mitchell wrote only one book. Nyways, I love all the characters in the story - Scarlett, Rhett Buttler, Ashley, Melanie.

Liked Eric Segals Love story.. Have read its sequeal too... didnt enjoy it as much as "Love Story"

I liked Richard Bach's "Jonathan the Seagull". Its a verrrry good book.. a small one too .
    I have read a couple of his other books - "One", "Illusions" and one more either "Running from safety" or "Bridge accross forever".

Used to read Anandha vikatan, kumudham a lot. mainly for cinema news. Like the ilakiyam section in Ananda vikatan too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    The rain it raineth every day
    On the just and unjust fella.
    But mostly on the just fella,
    because the unjust stole the just's umbrella :P

Oh.. wow..

Good fellas all.. I was particularly glad to see Honeyarjun's comment:
    To simply put it...give me a book ..I will forget the world and immerse myself on it...
    My sentiments exactly. I started reading newspapers too (tamil ones) since I was in 3rd std or so..and reading is a part and way of life.. My mom gets really bugged dealing with my book collection and reading habits.. (What are moms for but to bug and hug is my policy.. )

I have read most of what ever has been talked about here so far - except perhaps AynRand and some tamil authors (more because they are not available to me!)

Forsythe (almost all), Archer (almost all), Follet (almost all), Robbins (several), Cook (almost all).. Sheldon (several), Grisham (nearly all), Crichton (several)... Sandilyan and Kalki (nearly all), Sujatha (too many to count), Pattukottai Prabhakar (many)... The list is too long..

I also enjoy some prose from Mu. Va., Rajaji - read many from others too.. Greatly enjoyed reading kalignar Karunaanidhi, (hadn't yet had a chance to read Kanimozhi except a few of her poems !!) Anna, and RadhaKrishnan. Also read many north indian writers.. Enjoyed the poetry from Tagore, translations from AK Ramanujam...

More serious novels of indians (?) in english (contemp) would include Seth (some), Arundhati roy, Rushdie... Naipaul (one), Golding (three), Updike (many), and oh... many more...

OK.. just to introduce, because you folks have not talked about him yet, and seems to enjoy reading thrillers, and mystery... **** Francis? His english and sense of humor is quite nice.. I do enjoy reading Francis, and have read all of his novels. Also enjoyed, Sommerset Maugham, O Henry, Hemingway, Jack Higgins, Jack London (a few), Kipling (few).. All of Arthur Conan Doyle (including his Lost World!!).. Some Christie.. Many Dickens, and Bronte's too... three of Dumas..

OK.. I will stop now.. I can't seem to control.. I have just finished a James Clavell's Shogun (had read his Whirlwind earlier).. Pretty good one.. Am now reading Catch -22 and Cider House Rules..

More a bit later...

Vasan

ps: some time later, we will talk about my non-fiction authors too.. some of them are cool.. . Not read Welch's book yet, Honeyarjun.. Some day..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

A couple more I remembered now......
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe, an excellant book set in New York. Was made into a movie later on.
    Stupid White Men by Micheal Moore, a satirical look at USA and all the hypocrisy within. Again excellent work.

oh well...looks like it is time to start a book reviews section !

nice to see so many appreciate the art of reading!

makkale, if you get a chance dont pass on reading robin cook's

thriller novels... my fav till date is vector and abduction...!

he's sure a mastero !

Could not resist adding to Reks..Yep.. Poems... True love of my life.. Any thing written is fine.. bharathi (how could not?), valluvar, classical tamil lit (not much though), even movie songs..

English too.. though not systematically.. Several here and there.. Yeats, Elliot (Prufrock and Wasteland are awesome!!), Milton, many of Shakespeares dramas and all of his sonnets.. Wordsworth, Longfellow.. tagore, nissim ezekiel...

Gone with the wind.. not yet.. its been on my wanted lists for a long time.. (any one wants to present me for Easter..?? )... Eric Segals (three including Love Story).. (have you read Archer's short story named Christina Rosenthal?? you should.., and have you seen the movie Love Story.. Ali McGraw was so fetching.. Gosh.. !!) I read Bach too (many) but didn't like them to much. I only enjoyed Seagull greatly..

I am particularly impressed with Sujatha's esssays on some modern form of short stories in Kumudam (currently on) and Katrathuum Petrathum in AV.. Good clear prose style.. I enjoy his writings much..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

OK.. just to introduce, because you folks have not talked about him yet, and seems to enjoy reading thrillers, and mystery... **** Francis? His english and sense of humor is quite nice..
    I have read some of his. He specializes in writing stories set in the racing world doesn't he? I wouldn't say I really likes* him, but he's not bad either.

PS : My grammer, spelling and everything is deserting me today. Hmm...maybe I should get some sleep....

Quote Originally Posted by shidinesh
    OK.. just to introduce, because you folks have not talked about him yet, and seems to enjoy reading thrillers, and mystery... **** Francis? His english and sense of humor is quite nice..
    I have read some of his. He specializes in writing stories set in the racing world doesn't he? I wouldn't say I really likes him, but he's not bad either.
    yeah he does... even when he strays from topic, his background is racing..
    Short Measures

I read Bach too (many) but didn't like them to much. I only enjoyed Seagull greatly..
    I too didnt like Bach's other ones but for Seagull... I read ONE first.. felt its sort of ok.. but then after reading the other two.. .
    But Jonathan the Seagull is a superb one..

Yup, i like movie/album songs lyrics too.. Tamil, malayalam and english... Hindi songs, when my friends take pity on me and translate them for me and now-a-days DVDs come with these subtitles. But i listen to hindi songs... u dont hv to know the language to enjoy the music nyways

Quote Originally Posted by reks
    I read Bach too (many) but didn't like them to much. I only enjoyed Seagull greatly..
    I too didnt like Bach's other ones but for Seagull... I read ONE first.. felt its sort of ok.. but then after reading the other two.. .
    But Jonathan the Seagull is a superb one..

Yup, i like movie/album songs lyrics too.. Tamil, malayalam and english... Hindi songs, when my friends take pity on me and translate them for me and now-a-days DVDs come with these subtitles. But i listen to hindi songs... u dont hv to know the language to enjoy the music nyways
    So far as books are concerned you sound like my alter ego !! You should be proud :P

You atleast understand Malayalam.. I don't know anything other than Tamil and English.. Can't follow hindi, so I don't listen to many songs.. I have listened to some, and enjoyed them greatly (not knowing a word of it ofcourse!!) Taal (ARR!), Raja Hindustaani, Rangeela (ARR!), Pardes, (whats that Madhuri Dixit, Shah Rukh Khan and Karishma kapoor film??), Kajol & Shahrukh (nearly all of their movie including the one with Rani Mukerjee).. (I like your avator too.. I find Kajol as greatly charming though many say she is not pretty.. I think she is terrific!)

In tamil, I like most songs - but if they have great lyrics, gosh.. I could go crazy.. Vairamuthu has done some amazing songs.. God willing, insha allah.. some day I wanna translate at least a few in to English.. if only I could capture a tenth of the emotions.. wow..

i forget myself and wander (not really lonely as a cloud.. but as a nomad.. !!) when I start talking..

Vasan
    Short Measures

i love reading books too... but mostly i read fiction.. My dad has a lending library for the past 15 years...i started of reading comics. my favourite is tintin and Asterix.... then tinkle is also 1 comic i like.... then phantom, mandrake... so when i was young i started reading these. then when i was in my teens i started reading novels...Some of my fav authors are jeffrey archer, sidney sheldon. mario puzo's god father is my fav. and jeffreys Kane and Able is also 1 book i love....
    Nan Dhan sakalakala Vallavan

I like Tintin and Asterix collection too. I like reading Archies too. Mario Puzo's god father...oh yes..it is excellent...I forgot to add Mario Puzo in my list. Mario Puzo's God father novel and picturization of the same by Francis Ford Copollo with the main cast Robert DeNiro, alPacino, Marlon Brando ...simply great. The best picture made out of a novel ever according to me!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast