Health Related Queries
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Health Related Queries

Default Health Related Queries

Dear Geethamites,

Do u have any burning health questions?

Perhaps a simple query you would like an answer to?

Whatever it may be, we shall do our best to guide you in the right direction.
    So if u do have any health related questions, be it about alzheimer's, wrinkles, acne, or even athlete's foot, please ask in this thread.

Your health is one of your most precious possessions, for as the proverb goes:
    He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything.

And as Herophilus said:
    When health is absent, wisdom cannot reveal itself, art cannot manifest, strength cannot fight, wealth becomes useless, and intelligence cannot be applied.

So come my dear friends, let us help you sate your curiosity
    :D

Just ask ! :D

DISCLAIMER:
    Information provided by members is general only and should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease, or relied upon as legal or other professional advice. This information is not a substitute for professional advice or care. If you have or suspect you may have a health or legal problem, you should consult your own health care provider or your attorney.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

first question Blueeeee,

How do I control knuckle cracking
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

Blue

Thanks for starting a useful and interesting thread.

Friends,

We will try to answer your queries and if not we will direct u to the relevant website links.
    Hope the geetham Doctors will come out with good suggestions for all types of health queries.

That's a very good question Madhu

It's imo the most annoying habit known to mankind

How abt getting urself a stress-ball ...so everytime u feel the urge coming to "crack your knuckles", use the ball instead

or

you could stick ur hands in ur pockets

there's another much more effective method ...but if I told you Sivam would kill me

Actually better wait for Sivam to help you out with this one

DISCLAIMER:
    Information provided by members is general only and should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease, or relied upon as legal or other professional advice. This information is not a substitute for professional advice or care. If you have or suspect you may have a health or legal problem, you should consult your own health care provider or your attorney.

blueee akkov..

I have tried stress ball ... Big time failure

Stick my hands in pockets Without my knowledge i use my thumb finger to knuckle crack the index finger .. DO you want more explanation on it

What is the third sugestttion ..peech tell me .. sivam wouldnt mind..

PS : BLUE akkov why dont you make this Good topic to be Global Announcement .. let it be more visible ...
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

Blue,

Adhu yenna suggestion .......naanum therunjukaren

A good topic blue... may be I will also join in answering queries regarding exercise and diet..
    Or if anyone wants a rotation (workout and diet rotation) to lose some pounds etc or any questions abt any exercise form, muscle building, losing fat etc ..Please come forward, I might chip in some suggestions.....
    Come here and share your reading interests....http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewto...?p=64353#64353

well Madhu,

although no reasearch has yet proven a direct correlation between knuckle cracking and arthritis...

This is what happens when u crack ur knuckles:
    joint is either pushed out of or back into a normal position, when u do this it causes changes in pressure within the joint capsule..releasing nitrogen gas...tht's the noise u hear.

Now imagine...each time u want to crack ur knuckles..that ur joint get's displaced...ur ligaments stretch and eventually they will reach a point at which they will just snap
    That will definitely cause permanent ireversible damage to your hands!!
    now do u want that to happen to u?

like all addiction...it will be hard try to be dedicated...and u will have withdrawal symptoms too..so how abt:
    -use hand cream everytime u want to "crack"
    -wear an elastic band around ur wrist and pluck it each time u want to crack ur knuckles. The pain will act as a deterent.
    -count to 25 backward
    -imagine that I am next to u ....and trust me if I was and u cracked ur knuckles..then u little Madhu tambi will end up with a balck eye for each poping noise

Good luck!

Blue.

PS: I tried editing it and moving..but to no avail....
    PPS: I was talking abt permanent surgical removal of the offending body part ...u guys asked for it...don't blame me

PPPS: Thank you Sivam and Honey !!

DISCLAIMER:

Stick my hands in pockets Without my knowledge i use my thumb finger to knuckle crack the index finger .. DO you want more explanation on it
    For some days, wear a thick cloth or plastic or a Ring to cover ur thumb finger alone. (Something hollow that fits exactly in the center of ur thumb finger... If u wanna imagine the structure think of that hollow cylindrical fries that u get in India.. I am telling something similar to that..)

Using this will increase ur consciousness when u try to crack ur knuckles....

but Personally, I feel its not worthy to give away this habit

Blues.. nice topic... enakkum neriyaa vishayam kekka vendiyaathu irukku... thanx for opening such a topic...
    I have been in diet for six months and all I have lost is six months's good food

Its a great topic and every one should have a look at it.. But do we need it in Global Announcement? It might not improve its visibility but increase number of global announcements..

We could make it an announcement right inside homezone (not global but local )...

About knuckling.. (too long two words.. so shortened it.. :D ) I think the urge is more psychological than physiological.... Like any bad habit it takes a lot of concious effort to avoid it.. But over time, it can be over come.. :D

Break a leg, Madhu.. :P

(which is not literal, but figurative it means good luck.. :P :P Appuram ithu oru habit aakkittu athukku vanthu vazhi ketka kuudaathu.. )

Vsn
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Any remedies for Mono?

v
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Blue,

Why is knuckling such a bad habit? I do that 5-8 times a day. In fact when I went for ayurdedic massage in India, the first thing they did is to crackle the fingers( both hands and feet ).

It might be annoying to somebody but is it medially proven to be detrimental? Achacho! I have one more addition to the list of bad habits.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Quote Originally Posted by anainar
    Blue,

Why is knuckling such a bad habit? I do that 5-8 times a day. In fact when I went for ayurdedic massage in India, the first thing they did is to crackle the fingers( both hands and feet ).

It might be annoying to somebody but is it medially proven to be detrimental? Achacho! I have one more addition to the list of bad habits.

Cheers
    Well to be honest Anainar,
    It's only a bad habit to me because I find it extremely annoying...personal preference

there is no evidence to show that it leads to arthritis .....but the only thing is that u could over-stretch the joint while cracking your knuckles and hence cause permanent damage to the joint.

so, as long as you are careful I suppose it's okay....but if there is a history of joint inflammation or arthitis in your family I would seriously advise you to stop.

Blue.

DISCLAIMER:

hey this is one useful topic. thanks to blue. go blue go
    the pain is too much for me...so i don't have this habbit....but i think the first step you can do is to read what blue has mentioned, about what happenes when you do it. scary
    Always draw a circle around the ones you love, never draw a heart because hearts can be broken, but circles are never ending....Priyasagii

see i have one problem
    enakkunew thooth varuthu
    valiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    enna pannalam???
    i hv temp as well
    Always draw a circle around the ones you love, never draw a heart because hearts can be broken, but circles are never ending....Priyasagii

Sagi,

Your wisdom Teeth seem to be erupting.
    These teeth are right at the rear of your upper and lower jaws next to your molars. This usually happen between late teens and twenties.

And NO It doesn't mean that if u still don't have them that ur somehow intellectually challenged ( I still don't have them )

However Sagi, u do seem to exhibit certain symptons indcating possible problems with the eruption.i

If u have any of the following symptoms:
    -Reddened, inflamed and tender gum alongside the wisdom tooth
    -Pus oozing from the gumline
    -The lymph glands under the jaw become sore
    -Eventually, it may become difficult to open the mouth
    -Fever.

The best thing to do is not wait but make an appointment straightaway with your dentist.
    Leaving it for longer may complicate matters.

[things that could go wrong:

In some cases, there may not be enough room in the jaw for the emerging wisdom teeth. This can stall their exit at the halfway point (soft impaction), and make brushing and flossing these teeth very difficult. Food and bacteria will build up between the wisdom tooth and its neighbouring molar, so decay and gum infections are more likely. Crowded wisdom teeth in the upper jaw have a tendency to lean sideways and grate against the cheek, causing chewing problems. The pressure from wisdom teeth may also force the other teeth closer together and interfere with the bite. Gum disease and cysts are other complications of impacted wisdom teeth. Very rarely, a tumour may develop at the site.

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au ]

Blue.

DISCLAIMER:

Wisdom tooth? Sagi, welcome to the wise club. I dont know whether I have a wisdom tooth or not but definitely I am not wise.

But from what I know, the earlier it comes the better it is. If it comes in the later part of the life, it will be very very painful. Normally it comes in late teens. A large group gets it in their 20s. It is something that you have to live with for a while. But you need to watch out for complications like Blue wrote. I was totally unaware about root canal treatment and decided to pull out one of my tooth while it could have been saved. But now I am wise. Before making decisions I read a little bit about options.

Thanks Blue for opening this topic.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

acho cho...........aama anai anna.......... wisdom tootha yeppo varum........

yennaku ippo yennaku yevollo teth irrukkum

naan count pannitu solrein......

candy chellam super topic

Suha,

Permanent number of teeth in Adults is 32. But since 4 of those are the wisdom teeth ...it 's okay if u have between 28 and 32 teeth. ( I only currently have 28... And no Wisdom teeth are not in anyway correlated with the advent of wisdom )

Blue.

(Ps: suhalolly ...ennna ma kannu muttam ellam kudikiringaa ellorukkum....umma over production pollai theriyuthu ....just kidding )

DISCLAIMER:

oh ok ok candy chellam.........i think innum yennau wisdom teeth varalliyo

seri vandha udanei firdt unngalluku solrein candy

kiss sa ..adhu vandhu.........kiss kodukanum thonuchuna koduthaddanum.....adhu thaan koduthein

yennaku kodukanum thonuchunna.......... bha bhi & baiya ku kudda koduthuduvein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast