General Pregnancy Info - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Pregnancy Info

Its Long time since we touched this Topic...Every women's fear of labour is pain..something i found in the web about epidural...wud like to share it here

Epidurals: Reducing pain during labor and delivery
    From MayoClinic.com
    Special to CNN.com

Although it's true that not all women have the same birthing experience, it's often easy for expectant mothers to get caught up in thoughts of a long and painful delivery. Those thoughts can be frightening and overwhelming. Fortunately, medications and procedures are available to help relieve pain. Epidurals — regional anesthetics that are injected into the space surrounding the spinal cord — can go a long way towards easing the pain of labor and delivery.

"The technology and the medications are now available to make labor a pleasant and safe experience for both mom and baby," says Gurinder Vasdev, M.D., director of obstetric anesthesia at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. "Epidural analgesia, for example, provides women with a level of pain control that allows them to participate in but not be overwhelmed by the birthing process."

Because of their effectiveness, epidurals have become widely used. Nearly 2.4 million women have epidurals during childbirth each year. Learn about the pros and cons of epidurals, as well as what they can — and can't — do, how they're placed and potential problems that can occur.

What does an epidural do?

An epidural is an effective method of pain control (analgesia) that affects your lower body. Epidurals provide pain relief while allowing you to be awake, alert and able to enjoy — and actively participate in — your baby's birth.

"For normal labors, the epidural is used to provide pain relief, not complete anesthesia," says Dr. Vasdev. "Essentially, the goal is to try to get control of the pain while maintaining muscle tone. This can allow some women to walk, if they so choose."

Walking epidurals, as they're known, have become commonplace. Maintaining enough muscle tone so that you can walk may increase the effectiveness of pushing during the second stage of labor. Without that muscle tone, your ability to push may be diminished. And walking during labor — whether you have an epidural or not — might help you cope better with the pain.

In addition to minimizing the pain of labor and delivery, epidurals can provide other benefits:

You'll likely be able to rest during the intermediate phases of labor. This will allow you to save your energy for the second stage of labor and the actual birth.
    If a Caesarean section or forceps delivery is needed, the epidural can be used to numb the area.
    If you have a vaginal tear or an episiotomy, medicine can be put in the epidural to provide pain relief for an additional 24 to 48 hours.

Episiotomy: A cut you may not need

Effective pain relief

When Gaynell Pritts gave birth to twin daughters in 1998, her epidural worked just right, relieving her pain while allowing her the ability to push during delivery.

"My third epidural was wonderful. I was very relaxed and comfortable," says Pritts. "The first twin was small, so I didn't have to push very much with her. And the second baby was born quite easily as well."

Epidural technology and training had advanced considerably since Pritts' first and second epidurals in the early 1990s — including the important advancement of using computerized pumps for even distribution of medication.

"My first epidural was spotty — it would work for a little bit and then it wouldn't," Pritts recalls. "My second epidural didn't work at all. It wasn't started until I was in hard labor, and the doctor could never catch up to my pain."

But having two less-than-perfect experiences didn't dissuade Pritts from trying a third.

"I kept my options open and had a third epidural with my twins," she says. "When you're comfortable, your state of mind is so much better. It took me three times to figure that out, but I'm glad I stuck with it."

Pls check http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/PR/00065.html for more information

Thanks to Cnn.com

Blue wrote,
    I have heard that the Gujurathis and the Pakistanis have special foods that they feed pregnant ladies with.
    Very true Blue...one of my punjabi friend made it for my sis...its made of wheatflour,nuts,sugar & ghee...its supposed to be healthy for the mother but very rich

yes blues not just gujus and pakis... Indians in general have their own traditional food which is specially cooked for pregnant ladies. Also for the kids upto on year old :D

Tamilans have that too. They are numerous soups, food dishes and drinks. I dont exactly remember the names right now

Shy
    I Geetham

Ya I remember eating some Pathiya Kozhambu...made with Kathrikkai and Poondu. It was a bit oily but tasty

Silican
    Idhellam kandukkura padadhu Yenna Idhu Vaalipppa vayasu!
    சிலிக்கன்

Quote Originally Posted by silican
    Ya I remember eating some Pathiya Kozhambu...made with Kathrikkai and Poondu. It was a bit oily but tasty

Silican
    just a tad concerned....but I don't exacty know why :?

Butterfly,

thank you for all the info on epidural
    really all this info we're collecting on this thread should be given out by midwives...but they are busy ppl too ...and I guess often forget to dish out the info :?

Shy Akka,

great to know that Tamilians have special dishes too :P

and perhaps you don't need to be pregers to eat them

blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Sweet lotus... yes all can eat.. but usually except for certain dishes others might be more medic inclined, for ex.. sila dishes, just one and only ingredient vachu seivaanga.. so athu pregant ladies thaan vera vali ellama sapiduvaanga.. :D

Shy
    I Geetham

shy wrote,
    just one and only ingredient vachu seivaanga.. so athu pregant ladies thaan vera vali ellama sapiduvaanga..
    shy,
    neengo idhu kavanikalai

Silican

Blue.
    Probably the midwives are busy ...let them help the mothers in bringing the most precious ones to this world
    Everyone who reads this thread hope wud understand its just small droplets in a big ocean & wud consult with their physcians

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly
    shy wrote,
    just one and only ingredient vachu seivaanga.. so athu pregant ladies thaan vera vali ellama sapiduvaanga..
    shy,
    neengo idhu kavanikalai

Silican
    puriyalai pattams??

Shy
    I Geetham

Neengo innocenta pregnant women than sapiduvangonu poteengo...inge silican saptu adhu tastynu solli irukaru...so was wondering

Oh athuva.. yes yes.. but i was thinking on serious note, that most dishes all can have right, athu sapitu irupaaroonu.. athaan onnum solalai :D

Pakalaam enna solraarunu :D

Shy
    I Geetham

Pregnant women and women wishing to become pregnant should NOT drink green tea.
    one active ingredient found in green tea affects folic acid absorption. THis vitamin is very very important for proper development of the baby (otherwise you may get babies with spina bifida, etc)

SO please abstain from that ever refreshing drink. Thank you.

3/17/2005 - UK and Spanish scientists have explained why the active compound in green tea, EGCG, can stop cancer cells growing even in people that only drinks two cups of the beverage a day.

The new study, reported in the 15 March issue of Cancer Research, is one of the first to reveal a mechanism for EGCG’s action on cancer, suggesting that the compound binds to the enzyme DHFR, an established target for anticancer drugs.
    “There is a lot of information on EGCG and it has been shown that if you treat cancer cells in the lab with it they will die. But although a number of targets have been suggested, no-one has previously managed to explain this action,” Professor Roger Thorneley at the UK’s John Innes centre told NutraIngredients.com.

The structure of EGCG resembles methotrexate, which kills cancer cells by binding to, and inactivating, the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR). The research team found that EGCG also binds strongly to DHFR and stops it functioning.

Dr José Neptuno Rodríguez-López, based at the University of Murcia in Spain, added: “We discovered that EGCG can kill cancer cells in the same way as methotrexate. However, because EGCG binds to the target enzyme less tightly than methotrexate, it should have decreased side effects on healthy cells.”

However Professor Thorneley warned that food supplement companies marketing this compound may wish to investigate the impact of such products on pregnant women.

The enzyme DHFR is also involved in folate uptake. If the enzyme is inactivated it could reduce the protection afforded by folate over healthy development of the foetus. A lack of folate has been linked to increased risk of neural tube defects among babies.

“We have not tested this on humans but now that it is known that EGCG compromises folic acid, food supplement firms may wish to investigate this area further,” he said.

He added that there is already some epidemiological evidence to show a link between heavy green tea drinking and increased incidence of birth defects.

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...-tea-mechanism

blue.

Ouch...must hurt.
    Over and out.

very useful info.....people who are planning for a baby can visit " babyhopes.com " here u will get information abt the ovulation period etc............

Thank you Mr and Mrs Raghu

hope the website will be useful to those who need it :D

blue.

All a matter of timing:

May 17, 2005 -- Infants who are introduced to cereals between the ages of 4 months and 6 months may have a lower risk of developing celiac disease than those who start eating cereal earlier or later, according to new research.

Celiac disease is a condition in which the small intestine becomes inflamed and damaged after eating foods containing gluten, a type of protein found in grains such as wheat, barley, and rye. The disease, which causes malabsorption of nutrients, usually develops in early childhood, and treatment requires following a strict gluten-free diet.
    read all about it : http://my.webmd.com/content/article/106/108055.htm

Large for Gestational Age (LGA)

What is large for gestational age (LGA)?
    Large for gestational age (LGA) is a term used to describe babies who are born weighing more than the usual amount for the number of weeks of pregnancy. LGA babies have birthweights greater than the 90th percentile for their gestational age, meaning that they weigh more than 90 percent of all babies of the same gestational age.
    The average baby weighs about 7 pounds at birth. About 10 percent of all babies weigh more than 4,000 grams (8 pounds, 13 ounces). Rarely do babies weigh over 10 pounds.

Although most LGA babies are born at term (37 to 41 weeks of pregnancy), a few premature babies may be LGA.

What causes large for gestational age (LGA)?
    Some babies are large because their parents are large; genetics does play a part. Birthweight may also be related to the amount of a mother's weight gain in pregnancy. Excessive weight gain can translate to increased fetal weight.

By far, maternal diabetes is the most common cause of LGA babies. Diabetes during pregnancy causes the mother's increased blood glucose (sugar) to circulate to the baby. In response, the baby's body makes insulin. All the extra sugar and the extra insulin production can lead to excessive growth and deposits of fat, thus, a larger baby.

Why is large for gestational age (LGA) a concern?
    Because LGA babies are so large, delivery can be difficult. Delivery problems may include the following:

prolonged vaginal delivery time
    difficult birth
    increase in cesarean delivery
    Because many large babies are born to diabetic mothers, many problems of LGA babies are related to problems with glucose regulation. These may include the following:

hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) of baby after delivery
    increased incidence of birth defects
    respiratory distress (difficulty breathing)
    Many babies with LGA also have hyperbilirubinemia (jaundice - yellowing of the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes).

How is large for gestational age (LGA) diagnosed?
    During pregnancy, a baby's birthweight can be estimated in different ways. The height of the fundus (the top of a mother's uterus) can be measured from the pubic bone. This measurement, in centimeters, usually corresponds with the number of weeks of pregnancy. If the measurement is high for the number of weeks, the baby may be larger than expected. Other diagnostic procedures may include the following:

Ultrasound (a test using sound waves to create a picture of internal structures) is a more accurate method of estimating fetal size. Measurements can be taken of the fetus' head and limbs and compared with a growth chart to estimate fetal weight.

A mother's weight gain can also influence a baby's size. Large maternal weight gains in pregnancy may correspond with a big baby.
    Babies are weighed within the first few hours after birth. The weight is compared with the baby's gestational age and recorded in the medical record. The birthweight must be compared to the gestational age. Generally, a baby weighing more than 4,000 grams (8 pounds, 13 ounces) is considered LGA.

Treatment for large for gestational age (LGA):
    Specific treatment for large for gestational age will be determined by your baby's physician based on:

your baby's gestational age, overall health, and medical history
    extent of the condition
    your baby's tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
    expectations for the course of the condition
    your opinion or preference
    If ultrasound examinations during pregnancy show a fetus is quite large, some physicians may recommend early delivery before the baby grows much bigger. A mother may need induction of labor, or a planned cesarean delivery if the baby is estimated to be very large.

After delivery, a LGA baby will be carefully examined for any birth injuries. Blood glucose testing is also performed to check for hypoglycemia. Early feeding with a glucose/water solution is sometimes needed to counter the low blood sugar.

Prevention of large for gestational age (LGA):
    Prenatal care is important in all pregnancies, and especially to monitor fetal growth when a baby seems to be too small or too large. Examinations during pregnancy that show a large baby can help identify a mother who may have undetected diabetes, or other problems. Careful management of diabetes in pregnancy can help lower some of the risks to the baby.

Thanks to http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...ewborn/lga.cfm for the information

Tips From VIP Mothers

அம்மா தங்கள் சொந்த அனுபவத்தில ் குழந்தை வளர்ப்புக் கான சில டிப்ஸ்களைத ் தருகிறார்க ள் சினிமாவுலக ைச் சேர்ந்த இந்தப் பெண்கள்!

http://www.geetham.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=381

குழந்தை அழறப்போ அது பசியால்தான ் அழுதுன்னு நெறையப் பேர் நினைப்பாங் க!... ஆனா, பெரும்பாலு ம் அப்படியில் லை... வயிறு வலிச்சாலும ், ஏதாவது பூச்சி கீச்சி கடிச்சாலும ்கூட குழந்தை அழும். அதனால், என்ன காரணத்தால் குழந்தை அழுதுன்னு தெரிஞ்சுட் டு முதல்ல அதைச் சரிப்படுத் த பார்க்கணும ்.

இது என்னோட ரெண்டு மகள்களான அவந்திகா, அனந்திகாவை வளர்க்கும் போது என் அனுபவத்தில ் நான் தெரிஞ்சுகி ட்டது! பெரியவளுக் கு இப்போ மூணு வயசு. சின்னதுக்க ு இப்போதான் ஒன்பது மாசம்... அதேபோல, குட்டி குழந்தைகள் தானேன்* ?ு அவங்களோட பேசறப்போ, நாமளும் மழலையில் தத்தக்கா பித்தக்கான ்னு பேசக்கூடாத ு... அப்புறம் குழந்தைக்க ு எது சரியான வார்த்தைன் னு பெரியவளாகி ற வரைக்குமே தெரியாமப் போயிடும்... நாம சரியான வார்த்தைகள ைப் போட்டு பேசினாத்தா ன், அவங்களும் நல்லா பேசறதுக்கு சுலபத்தில் பழகிப்பாங் க!...

http://www.geetham.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=382

சச்சின் இன்றைக்கு நல்லா கிரிக்கெட் விளையாடினா லோ, பவதாரிணி நல்லா பாடினாலோ, அஞ்சு ஜார்ஜ் தங்கம் ஜெயிச்சாலோ , அதை நாம் எவ்வளவு மகிழ்ச்சிய ோட ரசிச்சுப் பார்க்கிறோ ம்! ஆனா, நம்ம வீட்டில் நம் குழந்தைகளை எப்படி நாம் வளர்க்கிறோ ம்? எல்லா பெற்றோருக் குமே அவங்கவங்க குழந்தைகள் இருபத்துநா லு மணி நேரமும் உட்கார்ந்த ு படிச்சுட்ட ு இருக்கணும் னு எதிர்பார்ப ்பு இருக்கு! எப்பவுமே உட்கார்ந்த ுட்டு படிச்சுட்ட ு இருந்தா, அப்புறம் நம்ம குழந்தைகள் எப்படி ஒரு சச்சினாகவோ , அஞ்சு ஜார்ஜாகவோ வர்றது?

குழந்தைகளு க்குப் பிடிச்ச எக்ஸ்ட்ரா கரிகுலர் செயல்களை அவங்க செய்ய நாம ஊக்கம் தரணும்! என் மகள் தேஜாலட்சும ிக்கு, படிக்கிறதை த் தவிர வேறு எதிலே விருப்பம் இருக்குன்ன ு பார்க்கிறோ ம், அதற்கேற்றப டிதான் எதிர்காலத் தில் அவளை வழிநடத்தவு ம் போகிறேன்.

http://www.geetham.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=380

எப்பவுமே கைக்குழந்த ைகளை தூக்குகிறப ்போ நாம நம்மளை ரொம்ப சுத்தமா வச்சுக்கணு ம்!

என் குட்டிப் பொண்ணு அஞ்சு மாலிகாவிற் கு இப்போதான் இரண்டு மாசம் ஆகுது. நான் எப்போ வெளியில் போயிட்டு வந்து அவளைத் தூக்கினாலு ம், அதுக்கு முன்னே என் கைகளை நல்லா சோப்பு போட்டுக் கழுவி சுத்தம் செய்துட்டு த்தான் தூக்குவேன் . குழந்தையை மத்தவங்க தூக்கும்போ தும், அப்படித்தா ன் செய்யச் சொல்வேன். பிடிவாதமா இல்லாம, நாம சொல்றபடி எடுத்துச் சொன்னா, வீட்டில எல்லோரும் இந்த விஷயத்தை ஃபாலோ பண்ணுவாங்க ! நான் இதுல ஏன் பிடிவாதமா இருக்கேன் தெரியுமா? குழந்தைகளு க்கு சளி, காய்ச்சல் மாதிரி இன்ஃபெக்ஷன ்கள் எல்லாம் நம்மகிட்டே இருந்துதான ் பரவுது... என் கணவர் செல்வா வந்தவுடனே மூஞ்சி, முகம் எல்லாம் கழுவாமக்கூ ட நேரா வந்து பொசுக் பொசுக்னு எங்க குட்டிப் பொண்ணுக்கு முத்தம் தருவார். ‘‘போங்க... போங்க! முதல்ல முகம், கைகால் கழுவிட்டு வாங்க’’ன்ன ு நான் தொண்டை நரம்பு தெறிக்க கத்துவேன்... அப்புறம்தா ன் போய் கழுவிட்டு வருவார் மனுஷர்!

http://www.geetham.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=383

(கே.எஸ். ரவிக்குமார ின் மனைவி)

குழந்தைகளு க்குத் தேவை, நல்ல ஊட்டச் சத்துள்ள உணவும், நல்ல ரெஸ்ட்டும் தான்!

எங்கள் மூன்று பெண் குழந்தைகளா ன ஜனனி, மாலிகா, ஜஸ்வந்தி மூவரும் ஸ்கூல் விட்டு வந்ததுமே கொஞ்சநேரம் அவங்களை தூங்க அனுமதித்து விட்டு* ?்தான், பிறகு படிக்கச் சொல்வேன். அதனால், அவர்கள் ஃப்ரெஷ்ஷாக ி விடுவார்கள ். புத்துணர்ச ்சியுட* ?் மறுபடி படிப்பார்க ள்.

மூன்று குழந்தைகளு மே பெண்ணாகிவி ட்டதே என்று எந்தக் காரணத்துக் காகவும* ? நாங்கள் வருந்தியதி ல்லை. அதேபோல, எத்தனை வேலைக்காரர ்கள் இருந்தாலும ், என் குழந்தைகளு க்கு எதையும் செய்து தரவோ, அவர்களுக்க ு வழிகாட்டவோ அவர்களில் யாரையும் நம்பி விடாமல் நானேதான் செய்வேன். குழந்தைகள் தங்களுக்கு அருகில் இருப்பவர்க ளைப் பார்த்துத் தான் எதையும் கற்றுக் கொள்கிறார் கள். அதனால், அவர்களுக்க ு நான் பக்கத்தில் இருந்து சரியாக செய்தால்தா ன் எனக்கும் திருப்தி!

Shy

Taken Frm another Thread in Geetham

Thanks. But the files are set to private...this has to be made public by the uploader.............
    VSeenu

Blog Entries

excellant article thanks to all contributers

Blog Entries

the first link is directed to a site where this info is not available. the other four links are dead. could you pl upload again sir

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12